Why an artist/ animator?

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

I got into animation on a whim. I saw AS Debut in a store and bought it. I absolutely loved it. Two weeks later I upgraded to Pro 7.
When I was 15 my uncle said "Artists don't make money until they die." This was after he knew that one of my oil paintings was displayed in the lobby of a local movie theater. That took the wind out of my sails and I turned to music instead.
I'm in my 50's now and I wake up early and stay up late to work on animation. The internet allows me to easily share my work. I enjoy the dialogue.
kellz5460, in my opinion the creative process is as important as air and water. A cow looks out at all that grass and thinks "What could possibly be better than this." Who in this forum is happy just following the 'herd'?
Cheers, Larry
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I've always been able to draw. Just seems so natural to me, I'm surprised when people say they can't do it. But then I've always liked music, but never been able to play a musical instrument!

Can't remember a time whan I didn't love animation either, so putting the two things together with technology made sense. Eventually got around to Moho via programs like Autodesk Animator and GRASP, and stuck with it ever since.

When you see an animated sequence from a great animator (Milt Kahl is my favourite), it's the closest thing to magic, seeing that character burst into life on the screen. If I can achieve one tenth of that I'll be happy. I'm just a hobbyist, but that's why I'm involved in animation.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

jahnocli, I googled Milt Kahl. I'd been studying UB Iwerks, another great Disney animator. Hiring the best animators may have been part of Disney's genius. Kahl used rotoscoping which I want to find out about. Thanks for the tip.
Cheers, Larry
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Milt Kahl was one of the nine old men. You can read more about him in the illusion of life book.
cucumihai

Post by cucumihai »

I know i'm new and maybe a stranger to you people but i'll share my crappy story too if i may.
I was painting when i was young and i always draw better that everyone i knew. When i got my first computer i did some frame by frame animations in Power Point (yes it can be done). Later when i got internet i started to learn how to design websites, logos, banners and stuff like that and i liked the idea of motion. After that i tried a few animation programs but didn't really liked them and then i stumbled upon Anime Studio 5 and now i make animations as a hobby, crappy animation but to me they look good and i try to improve every time.
I love when i finish a cartoon and i have that movie made by me with characters that appear alive.
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

cucumihai wrote:I know i'm new and maybe a stranger to you people but i'll share my crappy story too if i may.
I was painting when i was young and i always draw better that everyone i knew. When i got my first computer i did some frame by frame animations in Power Point (yes it can be done). Later when i got internet i started to learn how to design websites, logos, banners and stuff like that and i liked the idea of motion. After that i tried a few animation programs but didn't really liked them and then i stumbled upon Anime Studio 5 and now i make animations as a hobby, crappy animation but to me they look good and i try to improve every time.
I love when i finish a cartoon and i have that movie made by me with characters that appear alive.
cucumihai I really enjoy your "crappy animations" its your style and I dont need to fast forward them ;)
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

cucumihai, your animations are great.
Cheers, Larry
cucumihai

Post by cucumihai »

Offtopic: Thank you guys very much.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

SvenFoster wrote:I love animation and I don't have to even be good at it as it's just something I enjoy.
And that's how it should be. I get tired of hearing criticism all the time, unless the author is asking for it, for their own development process.

Just do what you enjoy, even if people think you're a monkey's ass and have no talent. Not every good story comes with a pretty picture.
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

J. Baker wrote:Just do what you enjoy, even if people think you're a monkey's ass and have no talent. Not every good story comes with a pretty picture.
Speaking as a fully qualified monkeys ass I now feel validated ;) well said.
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

I started drawing at a very young age, like most people. But I was drawing all the time. Even in school when I should have been paying attention. But people always told me I was good at it and I enjoyed it. It's fun to create your own world and make up your own story.

I also enjoyed cartoons and still do. Yeah, I'm almost 35 and you can still catch me watching the Smurfs every now and then. But I also enjoyed Walt Disney's creations. Mostly the older stuff. And whacky cartoons like Woody Woodpecker.

I also started in 3D but didn't care much for the render times. That and I really enjoyed the basic concept of 2D. So I spent a lot of time creating animted gifs years ago and had fun with it.

Then one day I came across Moho and was like a little kid again. I used the demo for some time. I was pretty picking on what I spent my money on. But I knew I was eventually going to buy it. It's one of the best apps I have ever purchased.

Nowadays I don't have much time for short animations, as I spend most my time programming. But I still use Anime Studio for game graphics and I enjoy that too. Which is something I've been working on for the last few years. But I do look forward to the day when I can get a break from my job, so I can create a short 30 minute animation.

That's pretty much it. I just enjoy creating things and working on stuff that makes me think.