Noisy outlines are fantastic

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Noisy outlines are fantastic

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hi, I have no time to explain this "technique" right now, but I want to share some advances.
I was working in a project with psd files and bones, everything normal. But in a scene a character should move from one pose to another and there was no way to make it only with psd. So I decided to use vectors, emulating the sketchy style.
I had problems with the hatched parts and this involved a lot of lines, making it a nightmare to animate them. Then I realized the noisy outlines could help.
The idea is simple, instead of drawing and animating 18 lines, I drew 3 and multiply them via noisy outlines (on vector layer proprieties). It worked fantastically and made the animation very easy, moving a couple lines you can move an entire hatched part.

The final result was very close to the original psd picture.
Last edited by Víctor Paredes on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

What a cool idea...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Nifty, thanks for sharing!
Genete

Post by Genete »

Wizard! you're a wizard!
-G
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Agree, that's fantastic.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

My first reaction: WOW!

This is just great. *bows*
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

woaaahhh. some of it I can see the use of the noisy lines but others I'm thinking how the *** did he do that?

i guess thats what the developers had in mind when they did the noisy line option

awsome as ever
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Fantastic Selgin, you're a magician! :shock:
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

:D
Thanks for the nice comments, guys, I didn't expected this kind of reaction.
I just uploaded the original image to the first post, so you can compare them with the final result. I know there are many differences, but the overall look is not bad.
Blend morph helped a lot to make the movement easier. Actually, thanks to the rig, the actual animation took no more than one hour.
Sadly I can't share the anme file yet, so if anyone have any question about it, just ask.
I'm very excited, this could open a big door for a kind of animation which seemed to be very difficult to do in AS.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
NeedyN00b

Post by NeedyN00b »

What values did you use for your noise settings?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

NeedyN00b wrote:What values did you use for your noise settings?
Around this:
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
DocZagreus

Post by DocZagreus »

Noisy uotlines are amazing, indeed, but is there a way to modify an animated noise speed?
chucky

Post by chucky »

That's a feature people have been begging for, unfortunately no, but you could reduce the overall frame rate I guess, that 's what I end up doing more often than not. Animating vectors on 2's and more can take the 'video' look out of the work anyway, one's can look a little too slick sometimes.

BTW Selgin, bloody great :!:
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

That's very nice work! Thanks for all the hints and tips.
Good idea using noisy outlines as hatch shading. I see how you didn't click the animated noise setting. Your keyframe animation makes it move nicely.

I used noisy outlines on a project of mine in 2010 that was supposed to look hand drawn frame by frame. I used just enough animated noise to make each frame slightly different. I had to experiment with it to get it to look just right. I used a small offset, and medium scale, with 1 line.

The editor took it upon himself to add fields in After Effects which I think was unnecessary.
delongeorama

Re: Noisy outlines are fantastic

Post by delongeorama »

Awesome... Please make a tutorial for this! :D