As Pro 8 vs Toon Boom AP 2

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JaMike

Re: ^^

Post by JaMike »

donbartolo wrote:Concerning Anime Studio, i saw a lot of really nice video's. i will take also a closer look to the other threads of this forum to get a better idea of the software! :))
Download the demo! You don't have to use a credit card either, they let me just e-mail them and they sent it to me direct.
minus36

Post by minus36 »

Mikdog wrote:Hi man.

Haven't been following too closely, but:

Here's something I recently did all in TB Animate 2 (storyboarded in TB Studio Pro):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LxsNMxIdBA

Here's stuff I drew and animated in Anime Studio Pro:

http://www.happyland.co.za

And on my site you can see the Goldfish videos I drew in Photoshop CS4 and animated in Anime Studio Pro:

http://www.mikescottanimation.com/work

May help you see the different kind of looks perhaps?

Mike,

Your work is simply awesome, you have a very personal style. Watching your animations it looks that you can achieve almost the same results with ASP and TB Animate... What is your conclusion after using both applications? will you keep using both?

Best
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

As far as animating goes, Anime Studio can do as good as Animate in my opinion.

Here is a frame by frame test I made recently.

This is a scene from the Princess and the frog movie and I had tons of fun doing it in Anime Studio!
minus36

Post by minus36 »

GCharb wrote:This is a scene from the Princess and the frog movie and I had tons of fun doing it in Anime Studio!
That scene is beautifully done, Gilles. I will take a look to your blog now to learn more about this.

Thanks for posting it.
Illustration & Animation
http://www.minus36.com/
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I am not talking much about the process on my blog, but I will work on a set of videos very soon!
donbartolo

:)

Post by donbartolo »

Ohh yeah!

This is great work!! I can't wait to see your Princess and the Frog making-off's! :p
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

BTW, I am also following on that thread on TB forum, my nick is CGharbee over there!

You can feel the concern on the part of the TBAP users that their software is becoming a low version of Harmony.

But as chrispurdin said, most TBAP users should just use Animate and hope for compatibility with Harmony.

After all, TBAP is still quite a capable software.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

GCharb wrote:After all, TBAP is still quite a capable software.
Very diplomatic, Gilles, standing up for your fellow Canadians! :)

PS I love your Princess and the Frog work, although the timing is all messed up as a GIF - do you have it as a Quicktime? How about a side-by -side comparison with the original? Or would that bring the Disney lawyers down on you?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

http://www.mediafire.com/?0u6b83nk61uzeqt

High def Quicktime.

I doubt Disney lawyers would loose any time on a 2 seconds reproduction of their work as this is not actual footage from the movie but something I made!
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

GCharb wrote:I doubt Disney lawyers would loose any time on a 2 seconds reproduction of their work as this is not actual footage from the movie but something I made!
I actually meant they might get angry if you did a side-by-side. I agree that your homage by itself wouldn't be worth their time. :)

Anyway, thanks for that, it looks much better when the timing is perfect!
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

JaMike wrote:I actually meant they might get angry if you did a side-by-side.
I will not take chances with a side by side.

You can tell this is not Disney as it has a few glitches, like around the shoulders.

Funny thing is that this could be easily done in Debut, a 49$ software and it definitively rival what can be done in Toonboom, which was used for that movie, so this makes it perfect for a face to face with TBAP, except TBAP is 2000$. :)
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

GCharb wrote:Funny thing is that this could be easily done in Debut, a 49$ software and it definitively rival what can be done in Toonboom, which was used for that movie, so this makes it perfect for a face to face with TBAP, except TBAP is 2000$. :)
It looks like they've slashed the price to $1200, so I guess they're about to release a new version.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

JaMike wrote:It looks like they've slashed the price to $1200, so I guess they're about to release a new version.
Yeah, TBAP 3 has been announced!
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

GCharb wrote:Yeah, TBAP 3 has been announced!
Still can't find anything on their website about it. Maybe Donbartolo has won and they're holding it back while they're putting the new Harmony features in?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

They wont say what is in it, but it is on the way!

http://www.toonboom.com/support/forums/ ... eadid=2784