PLEASE! Make the grid lock and NOT scale with layers!!!!!

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Poptoogi

PLEASE! Make the grid lock and NOT scale with layers!!!!!

Post by Poptoogi »

The grid is an amazing tool I've come to love since I found out how to actually use it. However, at the same time it is unbelievably frustrating to use when I want to bind bones to artwork if any layer scaling or movement has occurred in either of the layers. The point of a grid is to line up objects and points on the grid and to move positions from one layer to another is just really bizarre to me. Especially since most anime studio projects consist of different layers that need to line up with one another. I'm sure there is a reason that AS does this but for me it's just frustrating!!! I would hope there is way to just set the grid to not move and be uniform throughout a projects layer but I can't find it. If there is a way to do this, please let me know and if not could someone make a script for it or add it to the next version of AS!! Any help would be appreciated!
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!
ekulis

Grid Lock no scale , sub ticks, dynamic guides

Post by ekulis »

Absolutely. One grid to find them them, one grid to bring them all and in the layers bind them.

It's nuts to copy an object from one layer to another and have it distorted because it's points snap to different positions.

And we need something like press Opt and then you get snaps at 1/5 the the grid length.

And while I'm eating my bagel and on a roll, Don't obscure the entire work with miniscule grid lines. Use major an minor ticks.

Last but not least, snap grids are a very old and obsolete idea. You need dynamic alignment guides that show up in software like Onmi Graffe and Apple Keynote. Where as the cursor moves all sorts of guide show up to allow alignment with absolute centers / thirds and points on adjacent objects. You even get top and bottom guides when your dimensions on the selected object match the adjacent ones.

Remember we want to be experts on Anime because we create great animations and not because we've figured out how to work around very odd design elements.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Toggle on off would be the most sensible and useful.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

+1
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

yup, me too.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Same here!

Would also love a perspective grid and a way to snap to points but heh! :)
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

I agree. Having to place a straight edge on your screen to line things up is annoying. The size of the grid cells should absolutely be locked.
Cheers, Larry
GranDan

Post by GranDan »

Me too; current grid has too little value given the potential of having a grid.
otonal

Re: PLEASE! Make the grid lock and NOT scale with layers!!!!

Post by otonal »

+1

yes grid improvements needed:

-a fixed master grid that you can snap to from ANY layer

-option for matching grid divsion size to canvas frame/resolution, so that the grid can perfectly line up with the canvas window if wanted so.

-the ability to set the grids origin and the layers coordinate system away from canvas center (x/y=0), for example to the bottom left corner of the canvas or anywhere else.

-make layers pivot point/originncross snapable to grid

- an layeroptions on/off box for having the layersgrid follow layer transitions/rotations/scale or not