physics: ragdoll vs. squash & stretch

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rogermate

physics: ragdoll vs. squash & stretch

Post by rogermate »

I've seen demos of the physics feature, and see how a character can act like a rag doll when falling down stairs.

What if you have something like a ball, would squash and stretch work automatically? The bouncing ball demos I've seen don't have it. Perhaps there is a way to make the ball with bones, and then there would be squash and stretch?

What approaches would you take if you wanted the physics engine to handle (or at least initially compute) characters / objects motion, but you later wanted to add squish and stretch. I don't have 7+ yet, so am guessing.

Can you use physics, then "turn it off" but save the motion?
Could you then add in squash and stretch?
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

when you use the physics engine it creates baked keyframes on every frame. to then edit each frame would be a nightmare, but perhaps it would work to mix the physics with squash using morphdials or morph blending... i think the best thing (and road to eventually not needing the physics enging) is to use it to generate a guide which you then animated over on a separate layer in a more manageable, human way. if the object rotates around adding squash and stretch by morph blending probably wouldn't work.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I made a basic tutorial for physics, might help you!

http://gcharb2d.blogspot.com/2011/07/ba ... tudio.html
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

GCharb wrote:I made a basic tutorial for physics, might help you!

http://gcharb2d.blogspot.com/2011/07/ba ... tudio.html
Hi Gilles, nice to see you again.

I just checked out your blog and downloaded all of your anme file tutorials. Now the neighborhood squirrels will be safe from me for a few hours.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the explanation, Funk.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello rogermate, glad to see you too and glad I could help.

On the physics tutorial, make sure to read about the nudge thing, as it will help with the sample file.
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

GCharb wrote:Hello rogermate, glad to see you too and glad I could help.

On the physics tutorial, make sure to read about the nudge thing, as it will help with the sample file.
Will do
jhbmw007

Post by jhbmw007 »

I was also wondering about how to do this. It'd be really nice if squash/stretch was built into physics. But I like the idea of using it just as a guide to animated on top of. One thing I've noticed is when physics is on it really bogs down my computer. So once the keyframes are made you pretty much have to turn it off.
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Just had a thought on this. If you used a switch layer for the squash and stretch, you could just advance to the contact points and switch to the squash layer and then advance a few frames and switch to the stretch layer. You would have to put the switch layer into a bone layer with a simple bone rig as physics can't be enabled on the switch layer itself. It might be tricky to set up because the bone layer would want to rotate on its axis as the physics progress through the animation. Just a thought.