Animation Challenge: Emulation

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

Nichod

Animation Challenge: Emulation

Post by Nichod »

Topic: Emulation

Description: Create a 10 second - 2 minute animation that emulates an existing animation. For instance pick a scene from The Lion King and recreate the scene in Moho. Try and get as close to the style as possible.

Deadline: August 24, 2005

Rules: Animation can not be created completely by rotoscope. Meaning you can not copy and trace over each frame of the animation you are emulating. Limited rotoscoping is allowed, but it is expected that you will use the tools that exist in Moho (ie. switch layers, bones) Please either give a link to the video you are emulating or a description. And make sure to quote the rights to the animation you are emulating.

Please use an animated film as the source of the Emulation.

-Start all WIP and Final threads in the following format:

Emulation: type (wip or final) : Title of animation emulating

-Works in progress are expected. Please share screenshots in program, and clips. Seperate your final animation thread from your WIP thread.

-Rules are subject to change and additions.

Prize: The prize has been decided.The follow shirt will be purchased for the winner of the contest: http://www.cafepress.com/lostmarble.14154440

The winner will be decided via a user poll. If a tie results then LM will be the tie breaker.

Any further questions please email: brian at vizualds.com or ask in this thread.

Brian
Last edited by Nichod on Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sometimes in order to accomplish something you need to not sleep.
Regul8R

Post by Regul8R »

excellent idea Nichod :D

Are we limited to animation? Can we push ourselves further by emulating a movie (live-action)? a lot tougher, i know, but challenging nonetheless.

jay b
Blessings for you, but none for me....
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

Intresting idea, and I ask the same as Regul8R.
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

I'd say no. Simply because the point of the contest is to duplicate a certain animation style. If you do live action. Well there is no animation :)
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

"If you do live action. Well there is no animation"

Well I obviously have to disagree here with my preferred style of bitmap animation. Is the challenge to be as identical as possible or to add something original? And at least 30 seconds? Do you how many people work on an animated feature and how long? A 10 second minimum would be a bit more realistic. Unless everyone does South Park!

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

Well I was trying to create more of a challenge by making the length long, but if the general feeling is that 30 seconds is to long, then we can shorten it. The goal is to recreate the look and appearance as well as possible using Moho.

Please use an animated film as the source of the Emulation.

But depending on how this goes, (participation) we could then move onto a new challenge of recreating a live action scene to animation. But this contest first.

The prize has been decided. I will purchase this: http://www.cafepress.com/lostmarble.14154440
Shirt for the winner of the contest. The winner will be decided via a user poll. If a tie results then LM will be the tie breaker. Rules have now been updated.

Brian
Rasheed

Re: Animation Challenge: Emulation

Post by Rasheed »

Nichod wrote:Please either give a link to the video you are emulating or a description.
Does this mean you can only emulate online animation, because judging becomes difficult if the original animation is (legally) only available offline (DVD, cinema etc.)?
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

Do the best that you can. Keep in mind that its likely you'll want to use the sound from the clip with your animation. (though you don't have to use sound) So unless you have a way of capturing everything. You are mostly limited to online. But you can find the trailer to pretty much any film, as well as there being a plethora of other 2D animation that you can emulate.

If there is something specific video wise you are trying to find. You might be able to find it:

http://video.google.com/
http://video.search.yahoo.com/

Other sources:
Disney:
http://www.disneydatabase.com/media_ind ... at=trailer

Anime:
http://anime.about.com/od/movietrailers/
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Sounds like fun! Great idea, Nichod. I just hope I can find the time to enter and that we'll see more than just South Park entries.
________
Green Crack Pictures
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

Well if people have issues time wise. And there are very few entries. I'll be happy to extend the duration. Just don't want it to be an endless challenge;) Then no one would get a t-shirt!
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Please don't extend it on my account. 2 months should be plenty for a 10 second animation. I was merely expressing my dismay over having to work instead of play. :(
________
Fsc600
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

Does it have to be a film or can i do a short bit of 'The Simpsons' ?
15 year old Anime Studio user...
27/12/06: Im back and ready to get creating again!!
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

CrAzY Dan wrote:Does it have to be a film or can i do a short bit of 'The Simpsons' ?
I think film is used here as a general term for animation that was produced by an animation studio, so it might be projection film, digital film, video, DVD etc.

BTW, I found a source for Simpsons' cels artwork, so it's easier for you to recreate a bit from a Simpsons show:
http://www.animationartgallery.com/artp ... elart.html
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

Yeah you could use the simpsons.

Brian
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

Cool :D I may actully try this. Although I really don't want a prize...
Spoooze!