CUT OUT USING A FACE FROM A PHOTO

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

blackhawk

CUT OUT USING A FACE FROM A PHOTO

Post by blackhawk »

I have anime studio 5 from a few years back. Started the tutorial from the book. I am not an animator by trade or hobby, but I want to make an animation of my 7 year old son using a photo of his face on a a drawn body. Is there any tutorials out there that would be of help. I believe this is cut out animation. This is for his birthday in October.

Thanks
Hawk
cheyne

Post by cheyne »

Hey Blackhawk,

I'm sure a bit of Google work will bring up some tutorials for cut-out animation styles - try "I want to make something like South Park".
But really my best advice even for a hobbyist - read the manual for the software, practice, practice, practice and find some animation resources.

No one tutorial will be able to show you how to animate. If it was that easy I'm sure there'd be a few more animators in the world ;-D

Good luck, after you go through the manual and have a bit of practice search through these forums - lots of nuggets of information to be found.
crowley

Post by crowley »

Not specifically for AS - for fireworks and flash - but watch the vids and should be able to duplicate in any photo edit software and bring the parts into AS -

http://www.communitymx.com/content/arti ... ?cid=E520A

If you are beginning from scratch it will give a very basic intro - to about the level of early monty python cutouts.
training wheels attached
Poptoogi

Video response to blackhawk-cut out photo animation

Post by Poptoogi »

Hi Blackhawk,

Rather than trying to explain how I would do this I though it would be better if I just made a quick video to explain how I'd do this. It's pretty rough, but it should give you the basics on how to achieve what I "think" you're going for! I hope this helps!!!!

:)

guyver93

http://www.youtube.com/user/ShoNuff93?feature=mhum
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!
NeedyN00b

Re: Video response to blackhawk-cut out photo animation

Post by NeedyN00b »

guyver93 wrote:Hi Blackhawk,

Rather than trying to explain how I would do this I though it would be better if I just made a quick video to explain how I'd do this. It's pretty rough, but it should give you the basics on how to achieve what I "think" you're going for! I hope this helps!!!!

:)

guyver93

http://www.youtube.com/user/ShoNuff93?feature=mhum
Great tutorial.
crsP

Post by crsP »

Hey guyver93, that''s a pretty cool technique for eliminating the backgrounds in pictures. Sort of like clipping masks, but animate-able! Could you please open a thread in the 'Tips & Tricks' section with a title relating to background removal, so it would be easier for those interested to find. Plus I have a little addition to it that may be handy in some situations.
crowley

Post by crowley »

Nice one guyver - only had a chance to view last nite.

it's interesting that the entire process as you demonstrated can also be done in flash in virtually identical fashion - import pic and mask ...

all I can guess is that the link I provided was based on the old flash workflow of slicing and optimising everything before you bring into flash.
training wheels attached
Poptoogi

Opps! Link to video tutorial.

Post by Poptoogi »

I just realized I posted the link to my youtube channel instead of the actual video tutorial. Sorry to anyone who couldn't find it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLfU5G4r ... ideo_title
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!