My First Walk-cycle! (actually, now, 2nd... contin. post.)

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Fulkster

My First Walk-cycle! (actually, now, 2nd... contin. post.)

Post by Fulkster »

I know, newb stuff. But thanks for being patient!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euAmWB_hjQM

I found a site with a tutorial breaking down the (human) walk into four distinct points which made things understandable and easier (angryanimator.com)

(I'm semi-understanding the bone-thing, but I'm still not getting the exact results I expect before I can say I've mastered it. I guess I'm a little dense!)

Fun program!
Last edited by Fulkster on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poopee

Post by Poopee »

Hello Fulkster

Not a bad first attempt, are you using bones on that model?

Foud this video on another forum, might help you out with your quest for a walk cycle!

No sound though but hey!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22aCAVYmP8c

Poopee
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

that video shows a walk cycle made using the aim bone script which is a little complicated. he has a better video using bone lock that's easier. here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC-m_FjkPMQ
tonym

Post by tonym »

Nice. You even did some squashing in the torso rectangle!
Fulkster

Post by Fulkster »

Hi Poopee,

Thanks for the vid- I'm actually (just) starting to understand what folks are doing on the (small) vid screens. (The tutes can be difficult to understand when the screens are small and you miss the cursor moving to another part of the screen.)

I've been playing with bones... get a little frustrated then play with just point manipulation. I understand the bones make things easier, but there's just something I'm not catching onto yet. I'm sure there's going to be a big pop when that vacuum in my head is finally broken! (I haven't gotten anywhere near through the manual... so that's most my problem.)

(getting rid of double post...):
jonbo wrote:that video shows a walk cycle made using the aim bone script which is a little complicated. he has a better video using bone lock that's easier. here's the link...
Thanks, jonbo this vid is a little more clear.

Dumb question... there is a little light blue line-drawing in his vid that he (gillescharb) is using for a reference. Where does that come from? Is that part of the "onion skin" or something?

Thanks tonym!
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

yes, that ghost outline is from the onion skin. after turning on skinning, you click BELOW the frame number you want to display, a grey marker will appear there, and the ghost outline will appear from the frame you marked. this makes it easier to match the left-right positions.
Fulkster

Post by Fulkster »

Aha! Thanks, Jonbo... so THAT'S how that works! (This just got ever MORE fun!) :wink:
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

ur welcome. if you can't see the screen in youtube because it's small, click on the icon that looks like 4 arrows pointing out to enlarge the view. it is on the right side, bottom of the viewing area next to the resolution setting. if you want a really good reference, you should get THE ANIMATOR'S SURVIVAL KIT by Richard Williams. it has break-downs of all kinds of walk cycles among other animation techs. that really helped me out alot in understanding the how and whys of the walk cycle.
Poopee

Post by Poopee »

If you install realplayer you can actually grab youtube videos, you just need to select the resolution you want then an icon appears on top of the video allowing you to grab it, or you can use tool like keepvid.com to grab the vids.

Personally I prefer the video with the aim at constraint, seems to give more control, but it is also more advanced!

Poopee
Fulkster

Post by Fulkster »

Thanks Poopee and Jonbo, (you guys have been great with the help!)

Real helpful info! I think it'd be best if I pick up a book someplace and do some reading (thanks for the suggestion).

It's been a looong while since I've check out Realplayer (years!!!). I thought it was ok before, but it looks like it's a real handy tool now! I could've made good use of the download from youtube ability a couple months ago- glad I've got it now!
KOMBATMATTT

Post by KOMBATMATTT »

awesome tutorial junbo
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

can't take credit for the tutorial, it was done by gillescharb. both the aim bone demo and the bone lock demo are very good for seeing the process. i hope he does some others :)
Fulkster

Post by Fulkster »

:roll: "RTFM" is some decent advice... I ordered that book you (jonbo) suggested, too. I've never had exposure to stuff like this. (Discovering how to use the onion skin saves a LOT of frustration, too!)

The binding points to bones isn't real "intuitive" to sit down without a tutorial or two (and the manual)... at least not for me. I think I have the bone thing working like I expect after some patience and study.

I'm appreciating everyone's help in this forum. Lots of nice folks! Thanks!!! :)
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Fulkster wrote::roll: "RTFM" is some decent advice... I ordered that book you (jonbo) suggested, too. I've never had exposure to stuff like this. (Discovering how to use the onion skin saves a LOT of frustration, too!)

The binding points to bones isn't real "intuitive" to sit down without a tutorial or two (and the manual)... at least not for me. I think I have the bone thing working like I expect after some patience and study.

I'm appreciating everyone's help in this forum. Lots of nice folks! Thanks!!! :)
Point binding is part of the artistic part of AS IMHO. We all basically do it the same way to a certain extent but just about every user of AS has their own style. I personally like to bind every point manually to a bone and sometime will argue with myself as to where a certain point works best with a certain bone. You will just have to find a system that works for you.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Poopee

Post by Poopee »

I only use point binding, then I setup deformation bones for joints, takes a little longer but it gives me total control on what is going on, just a preference really.

I have it from a good source that GCharb will do some more videos in the coming days/weeks and with sound this time!

Yes, RTFM is the first thing any new software users should do, but they usually just get in the software, mess with it, and when they are on the bric of depression they resort to good ol reading! :)

Poopee