A Few Questions From a Noob

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JCook

Post by JCook »

Photoshop is used in animation for processing images. ASPro will import images very well, and you can animate them, apply bones to warp them, and do a lot. So Photoshop is invaluable for that. There are other image processing programs that do similar things, but I use Photoshop - it's for much more than photos. If you go to the CG Society gallery pages you'll see a LOT of painted work done in Photoshop.

Illustrator is another Adobe product (like Photoshop). It's a vector drawing program, rather than a bitmap or raster program like Photoshop. It has excellent tools, but there's a learning curve to be dealt with if you want to get deep into it, though not as steep a learning curve as Photoshop. I personally like Illustrator's drawing tools much better than ASPro's tools, because I've been using it since the first version (1986 or so?), but I do use ASPro's tools a lot also.

Jackl
Yosemite Sam

Post by Yosemite Sam »

Thanks sbtamu. Which hosting site do you recommend?
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I like this one. You have to register though, but I have never had any trouble with them.

Also, for an image its

For url its

They have tons of option so if you can not figure out what code you need to post the image just let me know.

http://imagefra.me/
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Yosemite Sam

Post by Yosemite Sam »

Thanks sbtamu, I'll check it out.
Yosemite Sam

Post by Yosemite Sam »

JCook wrote:Photoshop is used in animation for processing images. ASPro will import images very well, and you can animate them, apply bones to warp them, and do a lot. So Photoshop is invaluable for that. There are other image processing programs that do similar things, but I use Photoshop - it's for much more than photos. If you go to the CG Society gallery pages you'll see a LOT of painted work done in Photoshop.

Illustrator is another Adobe product (like Photoshop). It's a vector drawing program, rather than a bitmap or raster program like Photoshop. It has excellent tools, but there's a learning curve to be dealt with if you want to get deep into it, though not as steep a learning curve as Photoshop. I personally like Illustrator's drawing tools much better than ASPro's tools, because I've been using it since the first version (1986 or so?), but I do use ASPro's tools a lot also.

Jackl
Okay. So are you saying that ASPro is vector based meaning it can only do vector type work? And if I want to create accurate free hand work that I would need to use a bitmap type program?

As I've stated, I'm going for an Adult Swim/Family Guy/South Park look. Speaking of which, anyone know what method they use to animate those shows? I've read that South Park uses a 3D software, I think Maya, but it had more to do with Mat and Trey being nit picky over the cut out look of the characters. Seems like total overkill, but who can argue with its success.

Jim
JCook

Post by JCook »

The drawing tools in ASPro are vector tools. And you can draw as accurately with them as you like, once you know how to use them. ASPro doesn't create bitmap or raster images. But you can import raster images into ASPro and animate them, so you can do both with AS. I often use images and vector drawing in it. If you want to use drawings you've made on paper in AS then you would need to scan them in and use Photoshop, or another image processing tool, to prepare them for importing into ASPro. You save them as .png files, or JPEGs, and import them onto an image layer. On another layer you can do some drawing in ASPro, and use both things in the animation. Once you've gotten into it you'll see what can be done.

As far as South Park goes, I have no idea how they work on it. But I'll get they use more than one program to do what they do.

Jack
Yosemite Sam

Post by Yosemite Sam »

JCook wrote:The drawing tools in ASPro are vector tools. And you can draw as accurately with them as you like, once you know how to use them. ASPro doesn't create bitmap or raster images. But you can import raster images into ASPro and animate them, so you can do both with AS. I often use images and vector drawing in it. If you want to use drawings you've made on paper in AS then you would need to scan them in and use Photoshop, or another image processing tool, to prepare them for importing into ASPro. You save them as .png files, or JPEGs, and import them onto an image layer. On another layer you can do some drawing in ASPro, and use both things in the animation. Once you've gotten into it you'll see what can be done.

As far as South Park goes, I have no idea how they work on it. But I'll get they use more than one program to do what they do.

Jack
Thanks a lot Jack. I should have my new computer early next week, and than I'll really get down and dirty with all the software, and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you guys.

Does anyone have the recommended specs for a scanner? Or a model?

Thanks,

Jim
crsP

Post by crsP »

Yosemite Sam wrote:
As I've stated, I'm going for an Adult Swim/Family Guy/South Park look. Speaking of which, anyone know what method they use to animate those shows? I've read that South Park uses a 3D software, I think Maya, but it had more to do with Mat and Trey being nit picky over the cut out look of the characters. Seems like total overkill, but who can argue with its success.
South Park does indeed utilise Maya to animate. And you are correct that the creators wanted the look to not vary from the original cut out animation they created. I can't argue with the success of South Park, but I will argue that it's success is much less about being created using Maya, and more about the humour of Matt Stone and Trey Parker. From what I know, after the 'viral' success of the animated Christmas card, an animation studio was needed, as both guys readily admit, they are not animators. So I think that the use of Maya was based on the practicalities of said studio already having the software and being familiar enough with it's workings to replicate something similar to the original animation look. There's no technical limitation to suggest that they couldn't do it if they had Anime Studio or After Effects, or similar apps. Oh, and Family Guy is frame by frame - but just animated badly.

As you have TvPaint, you probably wont need Photoshop - many of the functions are duplicated in TvPaint. Similarly, TvPaint simulates natural media tools as in Artrage. Obviously you're in a better position than most, in that you don't have to pay for these software, however having to learn, and having to jump from one app to another, whilst keeping in mind all the different keyboard shortcuts and different process methods will slow down your workflow. So it's not good to double up where it's not necessary. I think with ASp and Animate, you have the vector side covered, so, again, Illustrator is not really needed.