linking external moho file

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Sine

linking external moho file

Post by Sine »

Working with nervous and fickle directors, I sometimes wish Moho can reference another (external) moho file as a model or backdrop. Say you have a model used in 10 shots and the director wants to change the character's toes. You'd have to make changes in all 10 files. Even with importing a moho model, it's a chore and importing is not an option if the character is animated differently in the 10 shots. Linking the 10 moho files to an external moho file for the model is ideal in such situation. Allowing you to make one change and effect it in the linked files. Then you should be able to make changes to the model, the styles used and actions built into that single external file and have it reflected in all the 10 files.

Maybe it can be implemented like in some 3D progs as an option. eg you could opt for the model to be save in the project file itself or as an externally referenced file. Likewise, you can import an external model file as a linked reference into another project file.
Sine =)
janimatic

Post by janimatic »

If your characters are image based then they are referencing external image files..... I know it's not very usual but i do most of my moho projects based on pictures and photographs.

But i agree everything could be referenced and also inside a project there could be refenced variables....
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

This is pretty high up on my wish-list as well.
In the best of worlds the design and rigging is finished before we start to animate but as pretty much every project shows, that's never the case, making changes hard and time consuming.
The possibility to re-import rigged characters without loosing the animation done in the scenes would be a tremendous feature!
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

This is a feature that has been on our personal wish list for a while. I would consider it more of a professional feature, and it hasn't been clear how many Moho users would be interested in such a thing. I'll see about moving it up higher in the "to do" list.
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

This would be of great value to me as well.
Dave
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

Put my vote in for this VERY useful feature.

Brian
Sometimes in order to accomplish something you need to not sleep.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Lost Marble wrote:I would consider it more of a professional feature, and it hasn't been clear how many Moho users would be interested in such a thing
I'm using Moho at a professional basis and I think Moho works great in that enviroment.
If you just aim for the hobbyist market and avoid implementing improvements that mostly benefits the professional users you won't see many commercial projects made with it and eventually the professionals already using it starts wandering off to using other software.
I'd say this is a feature that would put Moho several steps up the ladder in usability for the professional market.
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

Put me in for double portions! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"and then Man created god!"
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

You can believe it, but... I WANT TO SEE IT TOO!!! :D :roll:
PS: That would save LOOOOOOTS of time (relly).