Making of 'Goldfish - Get Busy Living'

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Looks like his brother but with short brown hair.

here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aCEwvMRTQs
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Thought i'd put in my 2c...
I have a 12WX too :) its nice (although since shipping it to NZ when I moved over last feb the screen isn't working - i think the breakout box needs replacing :(

Anyway - Selgin, i find that if you're wearing a long sleeve shirt, just pulling it up over the padded bit of the bottom of your hand works well - your hand doesn't stick anymore! Also you could still make your own with some cotton gloves maybe? like they use for handling antiques? :P

In other news, I've just bothered for the first time in the years since I got this tablet, to set up radial menus for all the shortcuts (lots) i use in AS... it saves me having to go to the keyboard! (you may be able to do this with any wacom as its not really a cintiq specifc function afaik... I'm going to do this for all my software :P saves a lot of time.

anyway... back to lurking ;)
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Thank you so much for the reviews.
Well i still think the screen is too small but i think i should get the 12wx intead of the 21ux because this last one is too big and would be harder to transport since im moving all the time.

I have some doubts:

How do you protect the sreen? is there any special bag for this?

I think using shortcuts is really important, saves you a lot of work, but the wacom only have 10 keys, so isnt that a problem?
In my case for exmaple i use more than just 10 shortcuts when working on AS.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Well, that's what i was sort of saying... you can have a special menu that has 8 segments that you can set to anything - this can come up when you press a button, and any segment can be a submenu, which takes you to another 8 slots - etc - so effectively you can create your own pie menu system for whatever shortcuts you need. It's quite cool :)

I chose the 12 for several reasons. i think the 21 is a bit big for general use imo (although i've not tried it, i do wish i had more resolution on the 12) as it means you have to move your arm a lot more to cover the same amount of screenspace. but i never planned the cintiq to be my primary display... another consideration was price! but for you, weight and desk space is also a good reason to go for the 12.

p.s. you have 10 buttons and two strips, plus two buttons on the pen... although i find the buttons/strip on the right side less helpful i usually map redo/undo to the right strip so you can actually run your finger up and down it to undraw/redraw your last strokes. I've also used it in flash to step forward and back on the timeline, because it's a strip you can actually flip back and forth with your finger as though it was paper (but easier than paper ;)
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Thanks for the info, i hope to have this wacom in the near future :)
tonym

Post by tonym »

I just watched your cartoon three more times.

Mikdog, you are a frikkin genius at creating depth in your scenes.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

PARKER wrote:Thanks for the info, i hope to have this wacom in the near future :)
I hope you have enough left over to buy a chair.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

jahnocli wrote:
PARKER wrote:Thanks for the info, i hope to have this wacom in the near future :)
I hope you have enough left over to buy a chair.
ouch
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

@ tonym > thanks man.

@ jahnocli > A chair? A chair?! Who needs a chair?!

As a side it would be great to have a system where somebody could design whilst lying down on a bed or some other more comfortable option. I'm not a fan of cricked neck and back. Or perhaps my chair/desk height isn't matched well enough. I once sat at a desk at my brother's neighbor digs where I was doing some work. Yoh the chair and desk were at exactly the right height. Was so comfortable and perfect for using a Wacom 3 tablet. Made SUCH a difference.
NealF

Post by NealF »

Mike.
Love your work.

I'm just learning animation and would love to know if most of your movements are done with switch layers?

Soundtracks and Comebacks has the fish moving smoothly up and down but also changing positions in quick jumps. Is that a combination of bones and switch layers?

Thanks.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Is that a combination of bones and switch layers?
Yep. And group layers with squash and stretch, and a fiddle fiddle here and a poke poke there.
NealF

Post by NealF »

Ah!

Thanks. I'm studying your videos frame by frame.

Love them!

Thanks for the info.