Where do you get your ideas from?

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rasheed

Where do you get your ideas from?

Post by Rasheed »

Image If you're making a cartoon for your self, where do you get your ideas from? Dreams, dayly observations, books, television?

I get the best ideas during running (blood rushing through my brains) with no particular example, just pure imagination and free association. Alas, when I sit down and try to create something from this idea, my animation and drawing skills aren't up to the task (yet).
Regul8R

Post by Regul8R »

i usually get inspiration when daydreaming. i'll be watching tv or a movie, but if its not particularly appealing to me, i start *seeing* storys form in my minds eye. basically i watch imaginary films in my head. :D

jay b
Blessings for you, but none for me....
cribble

Post by cribble »

I read books, not "tips on flash animating because you suck" but novels and arty books, some very good stuff can be found in there. It can take a sentence, paragraph or chapter to whip up an idea. I've made an animation on the line "I woke up to the sounds of the local birds, purched outside somewhere. I wish i could hire someone to scare them away, so i can catch a few more minutes of sleep" (not exactly a book... a friend msn-ed me this... they were talking about some wild party the night before. I found it funny for some reason).

I watch movies and TV, but generally, i think its bad on the whole as you end up taking the idea/characters from the film/program and then the viewer see's that the idea isn't that orignal, its just's spoof of whatever i was watching.

If i want to give a character a personality, I use personalities from friends i know, or strangers who i've briefly encountered... like the guys at a pub, they're so "manly" they've fogotten what its like to be human!

I also use personal experiences and incoorperate them into a strory or as part as a character(s) personal problems, so "some" people can become attached and become related to the character/situation somewhat.
--Scott
cribble.net
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

My best ideas come from several different outlets:

-Joking around with friends
-Exercising, like Rasheed said, all that blood rushing around with some extra endorphins really sets the mental blocks free
-In the shower. Actually, this is where I typically come up with the best solutions to difficult problems (especially programming and technical problems)

Typically, the best ideas come when I'm not trying to think of the best idea. :D
________
SUZUKI SWIFT
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

I agree with kdiddy about the shower being the best place for solving technical problems. I can't count the number of times I've had "ah ha" moments there. Maybe it's the steam or something?

As far as creative ideas, do you have kids? LOL My daughter knocked on our door in the middle of the night last night and was saying "help" quietly, over and over. We told her "open the door" several times, but she was totally asleep. Finally, she did come in, and said she was dreaming we were "putting her in a toaster like a piece of toast." I thought that sounded like an interesting premise to an animation.

Seriously, dreams can be great idea-makers. Sometimes, though, I'll be dreaming about something, and even think "I know I'm dreaming, but this is a great idea for a screenplay!" But then I wake up, and it's totally disjointed and doesn't make any sense at all.

For me, lately, I've had quite a few ideas, and not enough time to actually do them all. Maybe I should clone myself like in "Multiplicity"?

The best way to generate ideas is to leave your "comfort zone". If you always eat lunch at the same few places, try something new, something completely different. Watch a different TV channels that you usually do - maybe even in a different language. Go a different way home. Read different books. Even hanging out in chat rooms was an interesting way to see what people are up to. Talk to strangers (I don't necessarily mean this literally for our younger readers) and listen, really listen to them.

I find that as hard as it is sometimes, getting out of that "comfort zone" creates a fountain of new thoughts, patterns, and ideas.

jorgy
Karpi

Post by Karpi »

Definitely from Music. I would say - 99%.
And the best ideas came during those natural lazy periodes,
like 14.30 (creative time) or 2 seconds before sleep.

It's always a mystical moment. Very illuminating!
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

Mostly when I'm daydreaming or even night dreaming lol. Sometimes if I'm writing a script and have writers block I sleep on it.

Spoooze!
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

My wife is pregnant. And I remember she has had a few interesting dreams. One she woke up and kept repeating the monkeys are flying the spaceship. No..no..no....then she woke up. And another one involved her being chased by the trex from Jurassic Park while pushing a baby stroller.

I'd say dreams are an excellent source for stories and ideas.
Sometimes in order to accomplish something you need to not sleep.
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

I'd say dreams are an excellent source for stories and ideas.

Post by myles »

Heh. :) I'll join the list that claims the shower is a good place for solving technical and programming problems. Also, occasionally, while driving - I've even pulled over to the side of the road to scribble a few notes to remind me of the solution details later. I read a programming column years ago where the writer claimed mowing the lawn was his equivalent. Always preceded by studying the problem, of course - I think it's how you first "soak" your mind in a problem (umm, no reference to the shower intended), then turn away from it and let your unconscious creative side make connections and solutions.

Although I'm only a low-output hobbyist, I'll claim it is similar for animation ideas (there's never enough time to animate all the ideas) - do some reading, particularly in the subjects you want to animate. Watch live movies - if on similar subjects, so much the better. If you want funny animation, read and watch comedy. Soak your mind in the "problem".
Then just turn away from it and let your subconscious work on it - making connections and solutions. Do something completely unrelated - such as Rasheed's running. Daydream - make up little stories to entertain yourself. I like to keep a little notebook and pen handy for jotting down ideas and observations as they occur. I sometimes get an idea just as I'm going to sleep - turn the light back on and scribble a few notes, go back to sleep - and try and decipher the notes the next day.

However, there are also classical formulas for storytelling that you can use to your advantage to add structure to the creativity. Many books for writers can give you more details.
Many shorter (and even longer) animations follow, for example, a simple 3-part story formula - setup, conflict, resolution.
For instance:
Setup: cat sees bird (what was the cat doing at the time?)
Conflict: cat tries to catch bird (here's where the animator gets creative)
What techniques does the cat use? What obstacles are in the way? (Obstacles may also mean other characters, or the actions of the bird)
Resolution: the cat succeeds or, more usually, fails in catching the bird. Often with funny comment from the bird or the cat, to the audience, as final shot.

Note: all phases, the conflict phase in particular, can be a lot more complicated than this simple example, and may involve a character against their situation rather than character against character. The conflict may even be a "task" rather than a conflict as such.

Of course, once you've got your creative idea, you've got to persist in the work and discipline required to make it into an animation. :wink:

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx