anime style

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

PARKER

Post by PARKER »

lwaxana, that last animation you just posted looks really impressive, a pleasure to the eye, thanks for sharing.
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

I'm not really sure what people mean by the timing. In that last video you set it up as if she heard something and then grabbed the arrow quickly. That's great storytelling in a couple of seconds. Great work lwaxana!
Impact

Post by Impact »

People mean that wile the movements look good, they are done so fast it look unatural. I think if you want the bow to be drawn that fast it should have more of a flowing motion, have the arror be drawn and loop down and up as she raises the bow like you did on the stick man test.

still looks great though :D
neomarz1

Post by neomarz1 »

Wow, Great Character design! Nice animation, It looks a lot better since the first upload. I had to figure the bow thing out for Haleys in the opening scene. Basically I chose to rigg the bow with bones and use switch layers for his arm, I think I even had two bones in the string, it was an odd rigg, but it seemed to work o.k.. I like what youve done. I used scenes from Lord of the Rings to help me out. Sometimes you can use "Camara" tricks to aid in your animations. One trick is where the Camara moves from the Archer to the Target (In a Blurr). In real life the Actor (who is the Target) already has the arrow stuck in him, before the arrow is even shot. The Archer may shoot the arrow in the general direction, but the camara blur gives the illusion that the arrow is being followed to its target. Probably most people know this trick, but sometimes the illusion can be just as effective. Something to think about. In "Lord of the Rings" there is a lot of suggestion to the viewer. The power of suggestion can be a huge thing. Marzout
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I think it's looking great! better with every itteration.
I still think that the pulling of the bow back needs to be the slowest part of the animation, where right now it seems extremely fast which makes her look either magically super strong (she's not built for being that strong :)) or the bow not being tight enough to actually make the arrow fly with any speed... i would lengethen the pulling back of the arrow a fair amount, and have the action of the arm ease out so that while the string is lax its fast and easy but the further back it's pulled the slower and more difficult it is to pull - maybe have one eye squint with it, and/or a tongue coming out to show the strain?

Just some ideas, i think it's really looking fantastic! ;)
kellz5460

Post by kellz5460 »

what fps is this done with-

it looks like 24
shift

Post by shift »

The timing looks great now to me
Uolter

Post by Uolter »

Great work Lwa! You know I can't give you detailed critiques with my poor experience, but that's impressive...
tonym

Post by tonym »

Excellent.

Regarding the speed of the character's fetching the arrow and drawing the bow, I have no complaints. Her speed conveys experience. Also, animating a character moving at faster-than-human speed is not unusual these days - it may even be the norm.

To me, the character's 'anime' appearance says, "I can move FAST."

Good work.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Thanks for your valuable feedback, all! Yep, it is animated at 24 fps.

Just a quick update, I slowed down the part where she pulls back the arrow. I like the timing this way and I think it helps the motion read better, but now I need to adjust the secondary motion for the slowing out rather than speeding up. Still fixing up a few other things as well...

http://vimeo.com/20952233
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

The change in speed really works well. Lovely simplified style - wish I could do that. I can't resist adding detail...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
kellz5460

Post by kellz5460 »

Oh wow- you hit it on the head-

with the sound effect it looks great everything put together well
OMG make it stop!
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

The improvement shows, well done and thanks for describing the timing.
Memnarch

Post by Memnarch »

Looks really good. Feels like a scene from a real anime :)

Greets
Memnarch