Morph bug

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

wagmun

Morph bug

Post by wagmun »

I have noticed a behavior in my ASP 7 which I believe might be a bug.
I'm working on a character who's moving his head and opening and closing his mouth.
I'm using blend morphing for that, and what I have experienced is, the lips for instance, after I have adjusted them in the actions panel, I go to the blend morph sliding controls and after I select the desired morph, it appears in a different position.
What I then have to do is position the shape in a wrong place (using the actions panel), test it in the blend morphing and, by trial and error, find the "correct wrong" position which will render the correct final blend morph position.
Does anyone else have experienced this?
I take this opportunity this wish you all a Merry Chrsitmas!
FCSnow

Post by FCSnow »

Wagmun;

I not sure this is the same problem, but my first efforts with blend morph were bothersome. Certain points (on a layer shape) would independently from the others, when using the slider controls.

After some time I notice that when one or more of vector points were selected, they would immediately move to the new position when I used the slider.

Try making sure that all vector points in all layers are deselected. I hope this fixes your problem.

Another tip: When making a full turn (face forward to profile), use a morph position that's halfway. This avoids a condition I call "Pinched Face".

F.C.Snow

P.S. Merry Christmas
Precise Planning And Timing
Never Suceeds Like Dump Luck.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

It sounds more like an user error than a bug.

Maybe it has to do with holding keys. Do you know that if there are no keys, there is no blend? I mean, actions (and blend morphs) only works when there are keys on all your points of interest.
For example, imagine you have a head with actions for normal, happy and sad. The mouth change on each pose and the eyes for sad are arched down, but the eyes for normal and happy are exactly the same.
Even on your Happy and Normal actions you must add keys to the eyes to hold the position. There are no movement yet, but you want that exactly pose when be animating.

This behavior is great for making different actions for different parts. I often work the eyes and mouth movements in different actions, even if they are on the same layer.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
wagmun

Post by wagmun »

FCSnow wrote:Wagmun;

I not sure this is the same problem, but my first efforts with blend morph were bothersome. Certain points (on a layer shape) would independently from the others, when using the slider controls.

After some time I notice that when one or more of vector points were selected, they would immediately move to the new position when I used the slider.

Try making sure that all vector points in all layers are deselected. I hope this fixes your problem.

Another tip: When making a full turn (face forward to profile), use a morph position that's halfway. This avoids a condition I call "Pinched Face".

F.C.Snow

P.S. Merry Christmas
I'll try not to forget that tip.
Thanks.
Merry Christmas!
wagmun

Post by wagmun »

selgin wrote:It sounds more like an user error than a bug.

Maybe it has to do with holding keys. Do you know that if there are no keys, there is no blend? I mean, actions (and blend morphs) only works when there are keys on all your points of interest.
For example, imagine you have a head with actions for normal, happy and sad. The mouth change on each pose and the eyes for sad are arched down, but the eyes for normal and happy are exactly the same.
Even on your Happy and Normal actions you must add keys to the eyes to hold the position. There are no movement yet, but you want that exactly pose when be animating.

This behavior is great for making different actions for different parts. I often work the eyes and mouth movements in different actions, even if they are on the same layer.
Thank yoy Selgin
I reaaly had shapes with different actions and after that information I normalized all action names and had all layers having the same ones - even if there were no changes.
It helped, but I realized the problem was beyond that. I guess I had so many possibilities/shapes/layer and all its combinations that I m ight somewhere got lost during the process that everything became a real mess.
One point I figured with ASP is that it was not designt to absent minden people (lol).
I got myself several times making morph changes to an action when I then realized I was working on the mainline/default instead.
Or making a change in some frame when I should be in frame zero.
The project then gets so confusing that it's better to start it all over again.
Some ways of alerting the user that timeline is not on frame zero not working on the right action would be very welcome from AS people.
Merry Christmas!