Pencil Open Source Software

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jwlane

Pencil Open Source Software

Post by jwlane »

The volunteer programmers for Pencil have been busy. A new version is gradually coming to the surface. Though there have been stability issues to be aware of (save projects often using incremental file names, please), this is a GREAT program for working out key animation poses. I frequently use it before starting an Anime Studio Pro session.

http://lesstooges.free.fr/pencil/forum/ ... hp?id=1242
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

When I click on the link to the software download, I get server error message.
"and then Man created god!"
jwlane

Error Message

Post by jwlane »

I actually haven't had time to mess with this, myself. Sorry you didn't get through. Maybe there is some more information at the forum. In any event, we at least know there is activity toward a new version.

It may be a very personal taste, but I think Pencil is a terrific tool for animation artists. It's drawing pencil has an incredibly natural feel. Check the home page from time to time, for an official release.
Uolter

Post by Uolter »

I used pencil and sometimes I still use it for tests. The purposes of this software are good but the flaw is its unstability. It's strange that It has just two programmers, got a lot of potential and could be very competitive.
muuvist

Post by muuvist »

F.M. wrote:When I click on the link to the software download, I get server error message.
Look further down the thread for the "alternate download location"
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

I have a soft spot for Pencil (mainly in the side of my head) as it has so much potential but its practically unusable from a stability point of view.(i'm on mac)

I find the pencil ugly, the fill less than useless and did I mention the stability?

all that said, I still have it installed and I will be getting the new version.

I think it suffers from that weird fact that creative people are not typically technical.. so development support is thin as your users are not able to code.

I keep toying with the idea of helping out but I think the project is poorly managed and that is why you are getting loads of forks of the code..ideally developers would know what had to be done and volunteer to fix them, not fork.

anyhoo... I still like it despite all the moans :D
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?