collaboration?

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

http://www.mediafire.com/?8yfh8zanrdow92u

Here is an ASP5 character that folks can use to animate a piece for the collaboration if they wish. Some parts of this rig are not my usual method (mouth integrated with neck) (only one foot bone) (hands are built into arms), so feel free to edit as needed to accomplish your specific animation tasks. I usually set my rigs up assuming that I'll adjust a lot of the points manually.

I'd suggest we all keep our project dimensions at 960 x 540 so the renders are the same size and resolution. Does someone want to edit the renders or .anmes into one video in the end? Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself...

Have fun, please post any results. :)
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Thats a nice character desing you have.
Last edited by PARKER on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Selgin--I had already started the character when I saw your post, but I like the character you posted. It's perfect for really focusing on the animation exercises. Perhaps for the next collaboration? :)
Mozbo

Post by Mozbo »

I think it would be cool if it could be done similar to the "add a sentence" threads on other forums.

Create a character (For continuity, perhaps 7.1 - the most current AS version)
Post it
People "sign up" to be in the queue.
Next person up gets the animation and adds 'x' seconds of animation to it and reposts it.
Then it moves to the next person on the list, Round Robin style.

No background, to keep the file small.

Give a specific time frame (1 week?) to add your part, or it moves to the next person.
~M
Change is inevitable, growth is optional.
Life is short, enjoy the adventure!
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

lwaxana wrote:...Does someone want to edit the renders or .anmes into one video in the end? Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself...
Have fun, please post any results. :)
Very nice of you to make this so even AS5 Debut users can use it (I have all subsequent pro versions). If no one has a burning desire to edit these together, I'll volunteer to do it. I think the easiest would be to upload the .anme to a file hosting site and I download from there. I can also host the final video on youtube. Let me know if this is okay with you.
Mozbo wrote:I think it would be cool if it could be done similar to the "add a sentence" threads on other forums....
This may be too ambitious to begin with. Perhaps on a later project after we gauge interest?

If I may, I propose that lwaxana establish the rules (or guidelines) and otherwise mediate on this first collaboration. Sound fair?
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

It's exciting that there is so much interest in group projects and so many good ideas. I think it will be great to try them all in the future. In the long run I would love to see the forum host more complex collaborations. With this project I just want to invite everyone (regardless of their skill level or how active they are in the forum) to join in, animate, and have fun with it.

If any pairs or groups want to tie their animations together, that would be really cool.

Neetersguy--Thank you! That sounds perfect. Using the .anmes should reduce file transfer size and help to keep the formatting consistent. Would it be best for you and your video editing process if we specify frames per second and/or dimensions (I know my video editor is finicky)? If so, what works best for you? Thanks for offering to host the video on youtube, too! That would be perfect.

The character file does work in debut 5? I don't have a copy of AS5 debut anymore so couldn't check that myself. Thanks again!
Mozbo

Post by Mozbo »

Well, I was keying off the concept of "collaboration."
Just having someone provide a character, which everyone then downloads and animates doesn't seem very "collaborative" to me.
We could all just animate one of the provided characters in the AS provided content and get the same result...

My suggestion was intended to provide a suggestion, not to dictate or establish anything.
Collaboration means working together, not just collecting a bunch of individual efforts and joining them together. I also evidently foolishly assumed that since this project wasn't fully designed, "collaboration" might include different ideas on how to approach the project...

But then again, perhaps I am misinterpreting the word as it is implied here...
~M
Change is inevitable, growth is optional.
Life is short, enjoy the adventure!
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

sbtamu wrote:I would like to be in. As I am not an artist or an animator but I am pretty good at audio and voice acting.
sbtamu, that's would be great. I recall that you are good at making sound loops. For this first effort, do you mind donating one I can use in the final vid? I wish I could give you some guidance, but I have no idea what we'll get. Something upbeat and comedic perhaps. It's up to you (an animation would okay too :)).
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Mozbo wrote:I also evidently foolishly assumed that since this project wasn't fully designed, "collaboration" might include different ideas on how to approach the project...
Mozbo, nothing personal was implied in my comment...your idea is a good one and certainly viable if enough people are interested in it.

To elaborate on my reasoning, go to the Animation Contests subtopic, look at a couple somewhat recent examples:

New! 2 week challange! 1st theme = PUNK!
Idea for a contest...

The first one actually got a couple good efforts from Johnny, Alexean, and sbtamu. The second one showed some promise too, but pretty much ended without a single entry (as far as I can tell).

The lesson I gathered from these is that the effort required to join has to be minimal, perhaps no more than an hour or two...just to finish a project. I think what we have so far is a good compromise. We'll see.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Uolter wrote:I was thinking of something similare these days.
Everyone knows about 11 second monthly competitions, they provide an audio source and you have to make animation with it...would be cool to make an AS team and entry just for fun. What do you think?
That would be cool. I'm actually intimidated by critiques there...not that they're mean or anything, but I know my work isn't up to snuff. Maybe later when I'm ready... :roll:
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

lwaxana wrote:Would it be best for you and your video editing process if we specify frames per second and/or dimensions (I know my video editor is finicky)?
That's the beauty of using anme files, I can deal with those issues on my end. For this project, I'll use what in your file, 24 fps @960x540.
lwaxana wrote:The character file does work in debut 5? I don't have a copy of AS5 debut anymore so couldn't check that myself. Thanks again!
The file won't open in Moho 5.4 demo, but this is more than sufficiently inclusive.