Shopping for a drawing tablet

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

guitarzan

Shopping for a drawing tablet

Post by guitarzan »

Hi. I want to buy a drawing tablet to use with Anime Pro 7 and wanted to get some advice before making the purchase. I'd like to spend $100 or less, but could go as high as $150. I've never used a tablet before, and use Anime Pro a few hours a week. Any suggestions on makes, models, things to avoid, or other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

I use a simple genius tablet, i already have about 3 years with it and its still working really nice, also its very cheap, i think its about 70 bucks nowadays.
Animark

Post by Animark »

I would try to get a second hand Wacom Intuos 2 (usb), 3 or 4.
guitarzan

Post by guitarzan »

Thanks for the replies. I've heard that the pressue sensitivity doesn't work in ASP with the Genius tablets. Is that still the case, or has this been fixed?

Also, what is a good size for a tablet?

Thanks.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

guitarzan wrote:Thanks for the replies. I've heard that the pressue sensitivity doesn't work in ASP with the Genius tablets. Is that still the case, or has this been fixed?

Also, what is a good size for a tablet?

Thanks.
Thats true, my genius tablet has no pressuse sensivity, mine is an old model so im not sure if may be the last versions could have this feature added.
Uolter

Post by Uolter »

It just depends from the use you're going to make... I have a wacom tablet, bamboo fun, but never used in AS.
I use the tablet to make sketches or other bitmap artworks, but not for vector stuff. When I work with AS I use only the mouse and never use freehand tool. But that's how i work...it depends from your needs, if you plan to work with the freehand tool, a wacom is the best choice, but intuos is not necessary in my opinion. You don't need so many pressure levels or other advenced features (by the way useless for AS) that would be the best for painting simulation. The size I could suggest is not less than A3.
eok

Post by eok »

I tired of my tiny Wacom Bamboo and looked at other options. After looking at a bunch of Wacom alternatives (e.g.: Aiptek, Waltop, etc.) I stumbled upon MonoPrice tablets:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subde ... p_id=10841

Monoprice lists user comments/feedback for their products. You'll find a good number of user comments on their tablets.

Since they were so inexpensive, I bought two: a 12"x9" and a 10"x6.25".

Note that these are really re-badged UC-Logic products. UC-Logic also markets their tablets as the "Genius" brand. Thus, the latest UC-Logic drivers support the Monoprice tablets.

I've been using them for several months now and I'm quite happy with them. I actually like the feel of the Monoprice/UC-Logic pen better than a Wacom pen.

Ahh, pressure sensitivity. Well, most my apps handle pressure sensitivity with my Monoprice tablets just fine. These are apps like Aura Paint, TV Paint, Inkscape, Artrage, etc.

Nope, pressure sensitivity doesn't work with Animestudio. But, Animestudio didn't seem to support pressure sensitivity with my old Bamboo tablet either - no matter what driver version I used. I run XP 64, so maybe that's the 'gotcha - I don't know. Anyway, I can live without pressure sensitivity in Animestudio because the auto-stroke and auto-taper features (or just simple non-variable line widths) suit my needs.

Note that UC-Logic tablet drivers used to only support a single monitor setup. UC-Logic now provides a dual monitor version of the driver, but I've never tried that version since it doesn't work on XP 64.

I believe they have drivers for OS/X too, but I can't testify to how well they actually work.

Hope this helps.

---
eok
---
eok
crsP

Post by crsP »

Wacom Bamboo advantages over rivals:

Battery-less pen

Drawing surface feels more like paper

Gesture support for zooming, scrolling and rotating [assuming you get the 'Touch' version]

Drivers for Mac OSX and Windows

Higher pressure sensitivity levels

Cheaper than Intuos and Cintiq ranges

Disadvantages:

No built in screen

Some people have reported the nibs get worn out quickly because of the drawing surface

If you get the 'normal' sized version, you might feel you are getting less for your money than the cheaper rivals

It wont get you laid.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

crsP wrote:It wont get you laid.
Ha ha!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
guitarzan

Post by guitarzan »

Volter, I'm curious why you don't use a tablet for vector drawings in ASP. Is a tablet not really suited for that?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

guitarzan wrote:Volter, I'm curious why you don't use a tablet for vector drawings in ASP. Is a tablet not really suited for that?
I use it. Actually, after the tablet I can't use a mouse anymore.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Uolter

Post by Uolter »

guitarzan wrote:Volter, I'm curious why you don't use a tablet for vector drawings in ASP. Is a tablet not really suited for that?
I can't say that. I can tell you why I don't use the tablet for vector stuff.
I have a traditional approach when drawing, when I have to do sketches I use the tablet on a bitmap application because I'd like to keep the pencil look that is very expressive. I make strong use of construction lines, I draw, erase or make changes quickly and I need to control the opacity/size with pressure, also don't want to see paths, points or pixelated lines, I find them disturbing. This way I have a better workflow. Another thing I don't like of freehand tools is that they often modify the line you made or you don't see it before ending the line.
When I'm happy with the sketch I import as tracing image on whatever vector app and I build the figure starting with simple shapes. this way I get much less points to control and I have to add only the ones I need, the final result is a smoother line more easy to control, a better visual result and a faster workflow.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Just to clarify, I use the tablet, but not necessarily the freehand tool. I like to have control over the number of points, curvature and width. It's just I like the speed my workflow get when using the tablet.

My story is I bought a genius tablet several years ago (which still alive on my parents house) and it really changed my perception about working with computers. It was a fascinating new world. Four years ago I bought an IBM Thinkpad x41 tablet PC, in which you draw directly over the screen. It's old and slow compared with new computers, but still being very good for working over Winxp, AS and many graphic and non graphic softwares.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
guitarzan

Post by guitarzan »

Thank you all for your help and advice in deciding what tablet would be right for me. I greatly appreciate that you took the time to post your thoughts.

Guitarzan
cheyne

Post by cheyne »

I concur with Selgin - I've had my Wacom Intuos 3 for years now and I can't go back to a mouse. It's such a worthwhile addition to any digital artist of any form. The pressure sensivity and options for it in Anime Studio take a bit of work to get used to (at least compared to options in Photoshop for example) and it really all comes down to style, but I don't use the Freehand tool very much at all. I want total control of line width, tapering etc.

Also even if you aren't a traditional artist, once you have a tablet you'll more than likely want a nice natural media program. Not kissing Smith Micro's butt, but Art Rage is a nice little program.