Boiling issue

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Joppa

Boiling issue

Post by Joppa »

I´m trying to make it look like it was boiling in the crater, but i´m not quite satisfied with the results.

Any tips?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se5LhA4zoVE
LeeHasPencil

Post by LeeHasPencil »

I'm not sure what to suggest on that menu but how about having the water move about? Adding steam may help too.
2ner

Post by 2ner »

Maybe try to adjust the source width and spread because I see bubbles at the edges on the left and right that are half cut off. Perhaps also have them without fill (transparent) with just the light green stroke, so you can see them overlapping and see the pot rim behind. Most of them will still show the darker green of the liquid behind anyway.
rogermate

Re: Boiling issue

Post by rogermate »

I conjure the image of boiling spagetti sauce. In order for a buble to leave,
there is an effect on the surface which looks something like a drop of water hitting the surface. So, at least for some of the particles, you could try having an animated drop splash. With the shape of the bubble and the drop splash on the same layer, they would be perfectly lined up left to right. And as the drop lifts up above it, it would look good.

Another idea, the bubbles could pop or explode into a bunch of little drops which fall back down.
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

Thank you very much for any feedback. Always nice to get other angles on the problem. I'm just a beginner but I will see if I can fix it
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Take a look at this topic from 'another forum' -- lava. A really clever little idea.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Axlen

Post by Axlen »

jahnocli wrote:Take a look at this topic from 'another forum' -- lava. A really clever little idea.
Linking to 'private' forum posts is a pain. I'm a newbie and I think the admins there don't like non-professionals/hobbyists. My registration has been ignored at that site.

Please explain the method and add to the richness of this forum.
Bifocals are both wonderful and a PITA.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Axlen wrote:
jahnocli wrote:Take a look at this topic from 'another forum' -- lava. A really clever little idea.
Linking to 'private' forum posts is a pain. I'm a newbie and I think the admins there don't like non-professionals/hobbyists. My registration has been ignored at that site.

If you can't see the link, check Onionskin's youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAOHmCZ9oRg
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Axlen wrote:

On Animatorforum you must make sure 3rd party cookies are turned on or Mike will not get you mail for registration. If you are on Fire Fox, click on tools/options/privacy and make sure 3rd party cookies are checked.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Here is an idea using switch layer in a particle layer for bursting the bubbles. You could use interpolate to make them smoother if you wanted.

Also note that I checked the depth box to make the bubble different sizes.

Mix this example with your own style and I think you might get what you are looking for.

Don't pay any attention to the crude animation. My bubbles are not the right way to draw them. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhraC-E_wUc

Stephen
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Axlen

Post by Axlen »

Hi sbtamu. Thank you for the tip. I'm using Google Chrome and third party cookies are enabled. I received a PM regarding registering on the site. I'll follow up on that.

Hi Selgin. Thank your for the you-tube link to onionskin's tutorial.

I apologize about the negative tone in my previous post.
Bifocals are both wonderful and a PITA.
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

Hi sbtamu,
Yes, that really gets the popping bubble look. And someone could always add another step with the drops falling more.

Cool demo too.

Hi Axlen,
Both this forum and that other one are really valuable resources. It's like ice cream, why not have more than one flavor?

Have fun animating!