Linux video render (and animation preview)!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rylleman

Linux video render (and animation preview)!

Post by rylleman »

One of the drawbacks of the linux version of AS has been that you couldn't render to a video-file or do a proper preview without rendering to image sequence and manually go through all steps of adding soundtrack and making a video file of it.

I've created a nautilus script that renders a selected anme-file to a video-file, complete with audio. You can also select any frame range you like to render.

The attached script is set up to do a preview render to fair quality mp4 at half size but you could easily customize it to render to whatever format, size and quality you want by changing the parameters inside it.

Now it renders to a file called preview-render.mp4 at the same place as your anme-file but you could easily change this as well if you like.
The script renders to a temporary image sequence and audio file which are removed after execution.

To install the script place it in your nautilus scripts-folder, $HOME/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts, or by right clicking in nautilus and select >scripts>open scripts folder.
Then make it executable by running "chmod u+x AS_preview-render" in terminal.
The script uses FFmpeg and Sox to work, chances are that you already have those installed. If not "sudo apt-get install ffmpeg sox" should install them for you.

http://rylanderanimation.se/moho/AS_preview-render

In the plans for future versions are to change the pop-up questions about custom frame range to some nicer looking GUI which also would allow me to add some more parameters for you to set.
Also now process feedback lacks with only a info-popup telling you when the render is done. I'm going to add a nice looking info window where you can follow the whole render process.
And I'm also going to add a AS script front-end so you can call the renderer from within AS.

I hope you'll find this script useful!

[Note that this is a script for the file manager Nautilus in Gnome, as Ubuntu along other distros use. You should be able to use it with other systems, like KDE as well. Installation and usage notes for that will probably come later.]
Last edited by rylleman on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Thanks! It is a wonderful aid for linux users!

I don't know if you already know but fazek made a mplayer wrapper to preview the animation from Anime Studio itself. Check his post.

Your script demostrates that output movies directly from AS is not really a problem.

-G
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Thank you.

Yeah, I know of Fazeks mplayer script but I never got it to run well. Sometimes it worked and sometimes not, and audio was quite a hassle to get going.