Foot locking SOLVED!!! Requires a script though...

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Genete

Post by Genete »

My idea is that the target bones were attached to a 3D skeleton and the aimer bones link the pairs of target bones. I mean, make a simple skeleton with the 3D stuff (it allow you rotate properly in any view, well with some limitations) and then attach aimer bones and target bones to them in such way that the aimer bones rotate, translate and scale matching the 3D joints.

The main problem is that 3Dgrid should be integrated into your new script. :( And I'm so lazy lately ... :wink:

-G
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The main problem is that 3Dgrid should be integrated into your new script.
:)

That was one of the reasons I hadn't tried this yet. This rig isn't really based on "3D" so much. As a matter of fact it is pretty much "free form" in that nothing in the posing is "automated" except for the aiming. It is very much like point motion animation except using bones to simplify it.

It would be cool if I could build the skeleton using a script just like your 3D point menu script. Draw the bones for a skeleton then it would automatically add the target bones.

I could build a skeleton for a character, get all the fan bones and other things that go with it for smooth joints and body movements etc. Then run the script and it builds the aimer/target system and creates the control rig.

The control rig is actually a duplicate of the skeleton but only has the bones that need to be moved, the target bone constraint targets. It seems redundant but is very necessary due to other bones that get in the way of the actual posing bones.

-vern
VidE

Post by VidE »

After much frustration trying to use both a walk cycle (which skated across the screen) and hand keying with locking the foot bones, which ends up with really weird and unexpected movements, I thought I might investigate your rig.

OK, there's so much I don't know about AS. But I downloaded your script, which played fine, but when I moved the timeline past your keys and tried to move the bones in your wonderful rig, they wouldn't - move.

So, for me and others who are newer and/or slower, ("tell me about the rabbits George"), A few points of elucidation could do wonders.

1) Why does the 'Manipulate Bones' tool seem to manipulate so few, if any, bones?

2- 2a & 2b) To properly use this rig, are you supposed to move the small bones or big ones, and with what tool? The 'newer' bone rotate tool rotates bones but not in any usable way. I have Fazeks' tools, am I supposed to download some of yours?

3) What is with the little figure in the left part of the frame? Is that for demo purposes or is that part of the rigging system?

Curious and perhaps mildly damaged minds would like to know!!! So any explanations are welcome, and could you please type slow so I can keep up.
Thank you.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Read my last post above.

The little skeleton on the left is the control rig. This is necessary to move the REAL skeleton so all the bones don't get in the way and you grab the wrong one.

Think of it like the sticks used to hold a marionette. You rotate the bones on the left to move the skeleton on the right.

I don't use the manipulate bones tool. It moves TOO MANY bones in my opinion. I want to rotate and position each bone myself rather than hope the software will do it correctly.

I am still working on this one. One of the problems is that the rotations and bone aiming are based on translation. I can't get a smooth circular rotation yet. When I get a chance I will test it out again and check those rotation problems you are having with Fazek's tools.

-vern
VidE

Post by VidE »

Thanks. I think that any 'problem' I was having with Fazeks tools was due to my misunderstanding of what was supposed to be happening.

Your rig reminds me a lttle of my 3d rigs in Cinema 4D with 'goal' controllers. It's a really great bit of otside the box thinking. Thanks for your contribution. Can't wait to see your tutorial web site!