Auto Scripted 3D rig. Files and Video Tutorial

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

AlanPS

can't get it to work

Post by AlanPS »

Hey Genete,

I followed your tutorial step by step (minus the fact I don't have the Fazek tool) and the masterX and masterY don't rotate the objects after using the Front/Side scripts. I made sure no bones were parented by any other- and then I tried parenting different bones to others to see if that is where I messed up.

Both vector layers are exactly the same except with the points moved from the copied version to a side view perspective.

Do I need Fazek's tool for this to work?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Did you add the layer scripts to the bone and vector layers? I think they are called "3Dgrid" for the bone layer and "sort_shapes" for the vector layer.

That is the last step... silly me... even I forget to do that and wonder why it isn't working. ;)

-vern
Neoranma

Post by Neoranma »

"'sort_shapes' for the vector layer"

That is missing from the tutorial! I just spent the last 2 hours cursing why the samples in this thread work fine, but I couldn't make it work.

Works wonderful now that I added it to the two vector layers. I think I really want to sit down now and start pouring though the script files.. well maybe later. This is just so cool that I want to play. MUCH MUCH MUCH easier than the springy bones tutorial.
Neoranma

Post by Neoranma »

Quick test. I played around for a few hours. Here is a 3 second test.

Some notes:
I only have 3 of the 4 "sides" done.
I left the lines showing so you can see how it was constructed.
I have some "loops" that shoot out past the model when it turns sideways.
I think I have to make the shape, add horizontal lines, then add the center line, and then turn to 90 degrees.
If you follow the tutorial, I ended up selecting points in frame 12, then actually creating the shape in frame 0. For the back/side of the head.
I didn't really get how to add limbs. Maybe there will be a second tutorial?
The fact that I even pulled off the quasi 3d shape is a few hours is amazing to me!

http://www.tetsuyama.com/media/face_test.mov
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The loops that shoot out is a problem with the curvature of points in AS. When they get "compressed" they kind of stick out.

The trick to avoiding some of this is more points or shapes closer together to begin with. You will still get some of this. The problem is when a line with two points kind of gets squished flat. It pushes the curvature out.

I think Genete is still working on the limb stuff including a tutorial. I haven't had time lately to play around with this since I recently got a lot of new work.

It's nice to have free time when business is slow... but it's also nice to buy food. ;)

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

I'm back!!!!
Just let me read all the forum threads and let me do the tutorial.....
(BTW I've been in the south part of Portugal - Algarve - in a "all included" hotel... and I have big new ideas!!!! :shock:)

PLEASE LET ME LAND!!! .... TOMORROW I HAVE TO WORK!!! :(

Keep connected.
-G
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Welcome back :)
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

nice...muy bien
Neoranma

Post by Neoranma »

Sounds like you had a good vacation!

....I played around more. I'm quickly coming up with a list of tools I think I either need to make myself, or see if they already exist... Or maybe I'm not doing it right. For this test I did the two halves of the face differently since this is taking a while to do one, it seems to work.
Stage left. manually put a dividing line down the side. For the eyes, I cut it out of the skin grid.
Stage right. used the spit curve included script on each horizontal line, then used the add point tool to get each vertical in. Placed the eyes on top of the skin. As you can see, putting the eye on top is NOT the way to go.
Also the eyebrows and the detail in the ear "float."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Yo7ndLwAY

Some notes:
I've never noticed how impossible to add a point where two lines bisect. I ended up creating 2 points, one on each line, then moving them together and welding.

Is there some sort of advanced flip/mirror tool? With the amount of time I spent creating one half of the face, I copied, pasted flipped horizontally. Is there a way to get the flipped points to line up along the axis to make it easier to weld them together. I ended up flipping, moving as close as I could, then touching up by hand.

I like the Fazek tool add point. Is there some sort of add line? Where I can select two points and create a line between them without having to create a new point in between them?

circles with only 4 points look a little goofy when setting up the side view.

two eyes on top of each other in the side view. It's hard to remember what is what. (turn off auto weld :) )I don't suppose there is anyway to do all this, but be able to use groups.. I can't imagine it working that way, but I don't know the program well enough.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Wow! looks impressive!
One hint:
As well as every animation starts at frame 1, you can use it to fix the details of your model that was difficult to achieve with front and side views.
For example there is an error in the eye's angle. You can set the model at frame 1 to be looking down (rotate by mX 90 degrees) (or up) and reveal the bad angles of the eyes. Then manually and MOVING THE .Rx AND .Ry BONES, correct the eye's initial positions. Remember that .Rx bones only affects to X dimension of every point and Ry to both Y and Z dimensions.

For the selections of overlapping points in the side view I use groups
of points (very important tip) or if they are separated shapes I select one point and then using the TAB then the rest of points connected to it.
Other trick is to keep a copy of the front view position in other frame than the 0. There you can select the points easily. Then came back to frame 0 to side-rig the model.

It is glad that someone else find this tech useful. I repeat that it is perfect for props.
Thanks for your contributions!

-G

PS: Please I need one week more to land... As I promise middle of august I'll post something new.
Neoranma

Post by Neoranma »

Genete,

Please don't think that I am pestering you. I think it's going to take me a month or so just to learn all that has been said in this thread. I am just posting my experiences. After I get the art of the back of the head down, and the little gaps under the chin and at the top of the head. I'm moving on to hair.. and if I can add how to use dynamics. Then how to do limbs.. I'll be sure to start posting questions like crazy at that point!

I starting looking at your eyeball file for instance. Its going to take me a while to decipher whats going on there.

"Remember that .Rx bones only affects to X dimension of every point and Ry to both Y and Z dimensions. "
So simple but yet so much to it..

One other note, With that last file I actually have slowdown on my computer when moving the master bones. I love that I can bring my machine down to a crawl now with Ani-studio. (amd3200 1gig ram)
It makes me realize that I should probably work with simpler characters. I can't imagine doing the full body, and multiple characters in one scene.
------------------------------------------------

Todays test.
I made a horrible broom. It gave me a chance to try dynamics and the 3d.
Here is what I came up with. It works.. actually it isn't that bad. This was just a quick test. Well it meses with layers, but if you don't get crazy like I did, small movements shouldn't be an issue.
I created four new bones, and bound each to a point, and made the parent bone the .pt bone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq2EIrzROY8
Genete

Post by Genete »

Neoranma wrote:Genete,

Please don't think that I am pestering you. I think it's going to take me a month or so just to learn all that has been said in this thread. I am just posting my experiences. After I get the art of the back of the head down, and the little gaps under the chin and at the top of the head. I'm moving on to hair.. and if I can add how to use dynamics. Then how to do limbs.. I'll be sure to start posting questions like crazy at that point!
Don't worry!. It is glad hear about other who is experimenting with the tools
Neoranma wrote: "Remember that .Rx bones only affects to X dimension of every point and Ry to both Y and Z dimensions. "
So simple but yet so much to it..
Don't be shy! go to frame 1 and select any .RY bone and translate it to any other position. You'll see the results in the model instantly. Better is you split your view port into 2 windows, one of then focusing to the bones and the other to the front view.
Neoranma wrote: One other note, With that last file I actually have slowdown on my computer when moving the master bones. I love that I can bring my machine down to a crawl now with Ani-studio. (amd3200 1gig ram)
It makes me realize that I should probably work with simpler characters. I can't imagine doing the full body, and multiple characters in one scene.
Yes, it slow down a little. It is something that Vern and I are looking for to fix. The lua code is not written to be speed performance. Imagine! I have learned lua one month ago!. Our target was that it works rather than it were speed optimized. LISTEN! :!: I have some ideas to reduce the amount of needed bones to 1/3 of the current ones. Let's say that the next version there will be only one bone per point. But that's other story. Let's concentrate in the current one that almost it works!
Anyway, we have tested the 3Dgrid script with a sample with more than 500 bone and AS did not explode...
Neoranma wrote: Todays test.
I made a horrible broom. It gave me a chance to try dynamics and the 3d.
Here is what I came up with. It works.. actually it isn't that bad. This was just a quick test. Well it meses with layers, but if you don't get crazy like I did, small movements shouldn't be an issue.
I created four new bones, and bound each to a point, and made the parent bone the .pt bone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq2EIrzROY8
Hey! Share the anme file with us to see what in the hell have you done!!
It is funny!!! :lol:

-G
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Ha ha!

I never thought about using dynamics with this rig! What a cool idea.

-vern
Neoranma

Post by Neoranma »

Here is my broom/dynamic bones test. I included a screen shot with some text over-laid. You can see that the masterX and masterY do not affect the dynamic. only the main bone. I put the bones in at a 45 degree angle to keep them separate, and parented them to the corresponding .pt bones. If I tried to use just two bones on the front side, and selected points on the back, I got strange results. When it combined. the back side points did not translate in the Y axis properly.

http://www.tetsuyama.com/files/broome.anme

Neoranma

Post by Neoranma »

Ok, new test. Last one for now. I promise!
I think I fried my brain on this one. It took me all day, off and on.
I really can see how proper bone naming, and point grouping can really help. I did a little bit. The streamers have dynamic bones. You can really see how it breaks the shape order. Also I could not figure out how to move the "pole" So I made a new set of bones, bound them and just moved them manually. Of course it broke the shape order too. I need to find a way that does not involve binding the points, away from the 3d bones.

Movie: http://www.youtube.com/v/er-VEwx8MXI

file: http://www.tetsuyama.com/files/Pogo_Stick.anme