Standard open source rigs

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dueyftw

Standard open source rigs

Post by dueyftw »

Some very intriguing things have been happening here. A couple of thoughts. Has anyone tried to apply DK’s head turn to a whole body?

When the dust settles, how about an standard open source rigs. Man, woman, child and infant?

And my last thought is to share art work for the rigs. So eventually there could be hundreds of eyes, noses, mouths, hair and body's that could be tweaked to each person’s needs.

Dale
capricorn33

Post by capricorn33 »

Has anyone tried to apply DK’s head turn to a whole body?
I have been trying to combine the scale-rotating techinque and usage of heyvern's flipbone-script to get my cartoonish characters to do 3/4 bodyturns. This is how far I've got it at this moment.

http://media.putfile.com/junior5-bodyturn

A little rough around the edges - but it's quite possible to get the body turning too, as you can see.

The head has one masterbone and the body another to achieve the different turning motions. Basically the very same technique as used in D.K:s trex and my lionhead, both found in this thread

This is no "one-size-fit-all" solution and it's not what I'm aiming at. But I think this can be viewed as a good example of what you can do if you learn the basics of the scale-rotate-idea and then build your own customized rig from scratch. That's anyway how I prefer to do it.

I won't post any anme-file yet since the setup is too messy... it's filled with different ideas and approaches, all mixed up in one file... and I still have a few problems to solve before I get th rig working as I want it to...
If I get a good and cleaned up version I'll post it here.
capricorn ( - just call me "cap")
children's tv pro, character animator
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Holy COW!

What was that?!!?

I clicked on the link and my browser went nuts closing the windo and asking to install something then FireFox started acting bizarre and I had to quite.

I'm on a Mac so usually these things don't frighten me... what was this "error protect" thing it was trying to install?

I never got to any file download.

Woke me up faster than a cup of coffee.

-vern
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

As far as I know, all of us working on that crazy rig plan to share it with everyone.

Originally I was going to create a rig for sale with my character designs but I've decided that won't be practical. I am redoing my original rig using the new "scale bone" concept.

This new rig includes body turn control. I was already working on that when this came up.

As Genet pointed out to me, the rig isn't something that I can "protect" and someone will come along with a better idea eventually (which they did! ;) )

I can however sell my character designs that work with the free rig. This makes more sense. It will allow those who don't want to bother creating AND rigging characters to buy them ready to animate. those who want the rig to work with on their own can do that as well.

This will be easier to develop with more people involved I think.

So I am going to work along similar lines. There may end up being more than one of these rigs. Miine is going to use layer scripting for one bone rotations but DK is leaning towards a simpler "bare bones" approach with more flexible control that requires more key frames on different bones and layers. It is a bit trickier to animate but the animator will have absolute control. My version makes it easier to manage key frames but requires two layer scripts, head and body.

-vern
capricorn33

Post by capricorn33 »

heyvern wrote:Holy COW!

What was that?!!?

I clicked on the link and my browser went nuts closing the windo and asking to install something.../

-vern

Hi Heyvern. Sorry, I don't know what your problems were there... I'm on PC, windows, firefox and it works fine...

(Hmm "download"... It's just a normal webpage with an embedded videofile. You don't "download" it, you just "open" it in your browser...)

Anyone else having problems with this?
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

I'm on mac, no problems here, I could watch the video(safari), and I must say it's a very good turn, great work!
capricorn33 wrote:
heyvern wrote:Holy COW!

What was that?!!?

I clicked on the link and my browser went nuts closing the windo and asking to install something.../

-vern

Hi Heyvern. Sorry, I don't know what your problems were there... I'm on PC, windows, firefox and it works fine...

(Hmm "download"... It's just a normal webpage with an embedded videofile. You don't "download" it, you just open it in your browser...)

Anyone else having problems with this?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

What happened exactly is this:

The initial putfile page loaded for a split second then immeditately that tab in FireFox closed and a tiny browser window at the bottom of my screen popped up saying that my computer was in serious danger and I needed to run "error protect" and would I like to try it for free.

Well of course my computer is in serious danger. I use it everyday. That's the worse danger of all. ;)

I quickly hit cancel and the window came back twice more on other tabs in FF. I hit cancel and then I was unable to type into any form fields in the browser window for my reply. Some of my key commands started acting wonky so I quit.

Just before quitting I noticed one of those teeny tiny itsy bitsy browser windows in the lower corner.

Does putfile do pop up adds like this? It could be I got a weird one. ;)

UPDATE:
It must have been a "bad" popup or something. It worked this time. The head turn looks great! If my script was in any way helpful in producing that I am thrilled!

-vern
capricorn33

Post by capricorn33 »

heyvern wrote:The head turn looks great! If my script was in any way helpful in producing that I am thrilled!

-vern
Your script is very helpful indeed, heyvern. I'm using almost every part of it, too. ...layerflipping, flipscale, transscale... I'll write some feedback in the scripting forum later! :-)
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I made some changes and fixed some things. I will let you know when I up load a new version.

-vern
sour_jax

Post by sour_jax »

When I clicked on the link it closed the window and tried to install a "Registy Cleaner" of sorts. I'm on Windows Vista, using FF.
The best things in life are free! Salvation, being the greatest!

Visit http://www.handbookforlife.com
capricorn33

Post by capricorn33 »

sour_jax wrote:When I clicked on the link it closed the window and tried to install a "Registy Cleaner" of sorts. I'm on Windows Vista, using FF.
Is it only my files on putfile.com that are causing problems...?

I noticed that when you browse in IE there's some activex called for...

And all Mac users; in the putfile.com FAQ I found this text:

"Viewing Errors
.../
* Mac users must use the latest OSX, Internet Explorer, and install all the latest players. Even then some of the Windows media may not work on your Mac."
Genete

Post by Genete »

Good stuff cap!! Keep it on!!
-G
DK

Post by DK »

I've had to put my experiments/contributions to one side due to an extremely heavy workload. Please keep up the momentum!

D.K
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Hopefully, in the next few months one or two rig setups will prevail. Then simple stuff could be offered for free and those who have put in hours of hard work can sell on CP.

Cap, nice work. Could you post your rig in a text file with out the art work? I want to steal you messy rig and try to improve it. Not your art work.

Dale
capricorn33

Post by capricorn33 »

Sure, I will post it soon. As I said I'll just remove a little of the worst "clutter" in the file... the unnecessary parts...

I'll have to do some other work here now for a couple of days, but I'll be back. Cheers! :)