Standard open source rigs

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

capricorn33

Post by capricorn33 »

dueyftw wrote: Cap, nice work. Could you post your rig in a text file with out the art work? I want to steal you messy rig and try to improve it. Not your art work.
Dale
OK, here is the anme file - with my messy setup...

Download junior_7.anme

IMPORTANT: YOU HAVE TO USE HEYVERN'S EMBEDDED FLIPPER SCRIPT FOR THIS TO WORK. http://www.lowrestv.com/moho_stuff/flipper.zip

Please, go ahead and steal as much as you like. I am for sharing, anyway! :-)

If you look closer you'll notice that I used the "scale-rotate"-idea for the turning of the head. But no perspective tilt added this time.

There is also a control bone placed in the upper white controlcircle, but I haven't got it working yet... (I tried looking into Heyvern's "lionhead tiltcontrol script" but I didn't succeed in finding out exactly how the "targeted" bone thing worked... How do you find out what ID a bone has, Heyvern?)

So, anyway, the head is scale-rotated.

But the body is different. It's simply divided into two bodyhalves which are translated instead of scale-rotated. Not really any scaling going on there. Why? Well, I didn't find it necessary for this simple cartoonshaped torso. So I tried it this way instead. It works well enough.

The sleeves are controlled by scaling bones, though.

This rig isn't built for walking. It just stands in one place. It's a stand-up-and-talk-and-wave-around-with-your-hands-and-head-rig.
You'll have to point animate the feet if you want to do any walking or rebuild it quite a lot.

And the hands are totally stiff, as you can see.
capricorn ( - just call me "cap")
children's tv pro, character animator
muuvist

very simple headturn and tilt

Post by muuvist »

hey dueyftw, here's a very basic 3/4 to3/4 headturn rig (more like a 'face-turn') I designed this rig because mikdog asked for a rig for his characters and I think this would work well and could easily be adapted to all of the characters in his short film.
There are 2 scaling control bones and the facial parts are in switch layers so expressions can be easily animated. The beauty of this rig is that the same chain of bones is used for both turning and tilting. So have a look at a quick sample movie here (approx 1 mb):

http://muuvist.googlepages.com/head003.mov

OR

go here and dowload the sample anime file:

http://muuvist.googlepages.com/verysimpleheadturn
capricorn33

Post by capricorn33 »

hi, muuvist

I like your very clean a straightforward setup with the linked scaling bones. Very good and easy to see and understand what it does and how it works. Perfect when you want to build fast, from scratch, as I like to do.
If you don't mind I'll use this technique too, it sure will help me get lost of some of the "messiness" in the rigs I'm trying to build here, where I suddenly don't remember which bone was doing what anymore...

BTW, thanks for that bright idea, the starting sparkle, that set of this whole scale and rotate discussion. :-)
muuvist

Post by muuvist »

capricorn33 wrote: If you don't mind I'll use this technique too, it sure will help me get lost of some of the "messiness" in the rigs I'm trying to build here, where I suddenly don't remember which bone was doing what anymore...
Hi Cap, Please, feel free to use (or improve) the rig, it was your lion's head that inspired me anyway, and of course the great things DK, Genete and heyvern have been doing. It's good to see the 'library' of techniques growing. I find the whole constraints thing fascinating, I hope there will be more of it in AS Pro 6. That reminds me, there's only a couple more days left in May... Hmmmm??
capricorn33

Post by capricorn33 »

muuvist wrote:
capricorn33 wrote:I hope there will be more of it in AS Pro 6. That reminds me, there's only a couple more days left in May... Hmmmm??
Oh yes... hmmmmm... look, now you got me dreaming too! :-)