Can you see me NOW/

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rplate

Can you see me NOW/

Post by rplate »

Roto scoping is not for everyone and it's not for every situation, but for those that might have an interest in it I have put a short streaming tutorial here to show how I go about the process.
Roto tutor here

The voices and noise your hear in the background are from a wild game of Uno being played by grandkids and their parents and grandmother. Just ignore them.

I tried to add the soundtrack in imovie but the export compression was so bad I trashed it and added the soundtrack through the iMac built in mike.
This is also an experiment on how well video streaming will work with the compression settings I used.
Can you hear me now? Can you see me Now?
Let me know.
Any questions I need to answer or you want to see examples of.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Good!!
It seems that it is not so difficult!. But I have a problem with my linux version. I cannot have video inside Anime Studio. Perhaps exporting the video to a image sequence and after importing them to AS with "Import Image sequence" it could work.

One question: It is really needed to rotoscope every frame???. If the movement is "slow you can let AS to do the rest with the tweening ...

Thanks for share
Genete
human

Post by human »

It's very interesting to learn from how you work... thanks!

I have to echo Genete's question about how many of these source frames need to 'scoped... what about tweening?

The other thing that is fun about this is the Darth Vader voice.

Can't you just add one gratuitous "Kill them. Kill them all." to the sound track?

Oh well, even if you can't, please change the title of your topic to resemble mine, so that people can easily identify it when they want to study rotoscoping!
rplate

Post by rplate »

Genete wrote:Good!!
It seems that it is not so difficult!. But I have a problem with my linux version. I cannot have video inside Anime Studio. Perhaps exporting the video to a image sequence and after importing them to AS with "Import Image sequence" it could work.

One question: It is really needed to rotoscope every frame???. If the movement is "slow you can let AS to do the rest with the tweening ...

Thanks for share
Genete
human wrote:It's very interesting to learn from how you work... thanks!

I have to echo Genete's question about how many of these source frames need to 'scoped... what about tweening?

The other thing that is fun about this is the Darth Vader voice.

Can't you just add one gratuitous "Kill them. Kill them all." to the sound track?

Oh well, even if you can't, please change the title of your topic to resemble mine, so that people can easily identify it when they want to study rotoscoping!
No I don't think I must rotoscope every frame. But, like you, I'm somewhat of a perfectionist. I like to be in control.
I have found that ASP doesn't always behave when it does it's tweening.
There is another trade off for rotoscoping each and every frame. That is, the figure hasn't changed positions very much and I can just grab an arm or leg or whatever and,
as I did in the tutorial, rotate it quickly into position and with just a little tweak I can move on.
The other problem, especially in the complicated moves of the sword fighter, ASP is not always aware of the sequence of moves. As someone said in another thread, ASP would have to be psychic. So it's a trade off.

By the way I used SnapZ Pro to do the tutorial and used Garageband to edit the sound track.
Then I compressed it in Quicktime Pro with Sorenson Video, and ready for Hinted streaming.

That is my real voice you know. With a little bit of help from Garageband. :P :P
Genete

Post by Genete »

Rotoscoping is a hard work. But it is as funny as bone rigging!.
human has reason about selecting your rotoscoping scene. High moves velocities blur the images and make difficult to follow.

here is a two frames rotoscope. Only a quick aproach.
It was taken from Garfield movie.

http://es.geocities.com/genetita/AnimeStudio/Oddie.zip

@rplate: why do you put all your drawing in a single vector layer? Whay don't you use depth sort to easy the head/body turns instead of pulling the points outside of the view? I think it is easiest to hide the shapes behind other shapes instead of puling them apart when should dissapear from the view.
Genete
rplate

Post by rplate »

Genete wrote: @rplate: why do you put all your drawing in a single vector layer? Whay don't you use depth sort to easy the head/body turns instead of pulling the points outside of the view? I think it is easiest to hide the shapes behind other shapes instead of puling them apart when should dissapear from the view.
Genete
Great question!
Depth sort requires multible layers. When I first started rotoscoping I did put the different parts on separate layers. I soon found it cumbersum to have to switch layers every time i wanted to tweak adjoining points. Especially when two parts are joined at the seams. [move points in one layer, find adjoining layer move points, go back to first layer, move points... next layer etc, etc.
Putting everything in one layer, I feel, is so much more effecient in the work flow. When possible I use the <draw><raise and lower> shape menu.
In frame zero when I first trace the figure, I try to put the shapes into the proper draw level. So that dictates what I might trace first, second, and so on. Of course they can be changed at any time.
Sometimes as I go along I find a section that may be split apart from the original, lets say hand, and I just add a separate part and go back through the frames that don't use the new insert and pull it down off screen view.
Once the insert points are hi-lited they stay active through out and it's simply a mater of pulling it off screen at each key frame. You can add separate things along the way but don't take away or add any points to the original drawing or you'll have a scrambled animation in front of you.
I learned that the hard way.
rplate

Re: Can you see me NOW/

Post by rplate »

rplate wrote:Roto scoping is not for everyone and it's not for every situation, but for those that might have an interest in it I have put a short streaming tutorial here to show how I go about the process.
Roto tutor here

The voices and noise your hear in the background are from a wild game of Uno being played by grandkids and their parents and grandmother. Just ignore them.

I tried to add the soundtrack in imovie but the export compression was so bad I trashed it and added the soundtrack through the iMac built in mike.
This is also an experiment on how well video streaming will work with the compression settings I used.
Can you hear me now? Can you see me Now?
Let me know.
Any questions I need to answer or you want to see examples of.
I started this thread, mainly as an experiment on how well I could stream a tutorial. Thus the title Can you see me now.
I have since experimented further and posted a better version of the tutorial. Roto tutor here
It's bigger and much more clear. Plus I no longer have a wild Uno game going on in the background. However, the trade off is it loads a bit slower.
Below I have also posted a flash animation of the progress thus far.
My Progress here

Not much action going on in this forum lately so I thought it might be a good time to bore you some. :P
human

Post by human »

Yeah, the load time will really try the patience of most users.

I was just about to give up myself, before the video kicked in.

I have excellent display resolution on my laptop, but my browser wasn't even showing the QuickTime controls--so this must be a BIG video. You could improve the situation by cropping your screen capture and then sizing the video to 50%.

You might have avoided cropping out some of the AS interface thinking it would confuse the audience, but your audience is going to be people who will recognize the application even in a cropped view.

This time you sound like Darth Vader in a small, ceramic-tiled shower stall. Still quite sinister, but perhaps cleaner. :lol:
rplate

Post by rplate »

human wrote:You could improve the situation by cropping your screen capture and then sizing the video to 50%.

You might have avoided cropping out some of the AS interface thinking it would confuse the audience, but your audience is going to be people who will recognize the application even in a cropped view. :lol:
OK I took your advice and reduced the size. How does it show up now?

Roto tutor here

Anyone else having problems with this, be a beta tester for me and let me know.
What I mean is, does the tutorial show up clearly and does it load alright?
This is more about Can You See Me Now than about rotoscoping.
The tutorial is just a vehicle to test on line streaming tutorials.
If it works well I will be able to bore you with even more tutorials. :P :P
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Genete wrote:But I have a problem with my linux version. I cannot have video inside Anime Studio. Perhaps exporting the video to a image sequence and after importing them to AS with "Import Image sequence" it could work.
Basically, the linux version cannot import video (well, only certain types of AVI files), but you have hit the solution: breaking up the video into a series of images and using the Import Image Sequence script.

jorgy
Genete

Post by Genete »

jorgy wrote:
Genete wrote:But I have a problem with my linux version. I cannot have video inside Anime Studio. Perhaps exporting the video to a image sequence and after importing them to AS with "Import Image sequence" it could work.
Basically, the linux version cannot import video (well, only certain types of AVI files), but you have hit the solution: breaking up the video into a series of images and using the Import Image Sequence script.

jorgy
Really?. Please tell me what kind of AVi videos can be loaded into AS Pro for linux. I want to test it

Thanks
Genete