Old film effect

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Lost Marble
Site Admin

Old film effect

Post by Lost Marble »

Here's a trick to create an old film effect. First, the example - here's a little "before animation":

http://www.lostmarble.com/misc/flexi_run.mov

And here it is after applying the film effect:

http://www.lostmarble.com/misc/flexi_run_old.mov

To use this effect, first download the following Moho file:

http://www.lostmarble.com/misc/old_film_effect.moho

In Moho, open the file that you want to apply the effect to. Next, select the File->Import->Moho Object menu command, and choose the "old_film_effect.moho" file that you downloaded above. There will a single group layer imported from the effect file - make sure it is positioned above all the other layers in your scene.

That's it - the effect will not be visible in editing mode, but when you render the scene you'll see it. If you open the group layer, you'll see that the effect is separated into three components that can be turned on/off or tweaked independently to customize the effect.
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

This is really great! The arsenal of effects continues to grow.

Looking at the file it quickly became clear to me that I don't understand everything that is going on. :shock:

Looking under layer settings I noticed that the blending mode is set to "Multiply". Looking in the tutorials I didn't see a description of what each of the options beneath this list menu meant. Is there a resource out there (or in the tutorials - I tried to find it, honest) that I could look at so that I could get a better knowledge of these different blending modes and how to use them? :)

Kind regards,
Dave
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Here's a description of Photoshop blending modes. Moho doesn't offer all of these, but the ones that Moho does have work the same way as described:

http://www.pegtop.net/delphi/blendmodes/
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

If you can't find a Moho specific explanation for them, I'm pretty sure Moho's blending modes work visually and mathematically the same way that they do in other programs (After Effects, Photoshop, Shake, etc.). So, you could probably look for them under those headings.

"Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects" has a particularly good chapter on blending modes, what they do and how they do it. I'm sure there are similar discussions on the same topic for other apps.

Sorry I don't have specific links for you, but there are a zillion (give or take 10) photoshop tutorials. I'm sure that there's one out there somewhere that goes over thisse modes.

There's a number of links on modes on this page, hopefully that will get you started:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photos ... alslayers/

Modes are awesome (especially when you start getting into compositing shadows and such). You can also really "sweeten" your image with soft blurs, opacity and modes.

Good luck! :D
________
Girlfriend pic
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

Thanks to you both!
Dave
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Very cool effect. :)
Max Power

Post by Max Power »

Sweet effect, I love how people just post up brushes, tools and effects like this for public use.

What would be neat to have, along the same lines as the "old time effect", would be a TV static type effect....or is there some simpler way to do that???

Max Power
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

There is something similar!
Go to project settings and turn up the 'Noise grain' settings. :wink:
Max Power

Post by Max Power »

thanks Dave, I'll try that out.

btw your web site design is top notch.

Max Power
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

That is very kind of you to say so.
I blush prettily.
Wookei

Post by Wookei »

Hi.

I dig this effect, but is it possible to get rid of it once its been applied to a piece, when simply Undoing is no longer an option? Namely the 'camera' effects it does. I'm assuming it's using the 'hand held camera' script, but I can't see any keyframes in the timeline that might be affecting the moho camera.

Thanks for the great support, and community assistance!
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

"I'm assuming it's using the 'hand held camera' script, but I can't see any keyframes in the timeline that might be affecting the moho camera."

I had the same question once, Lost Marble gave me this answer:

"All the camera shake script does is set the interpolation mode for camera moves to "Noisy". You could easily do this yourself by selecting all the camera keyframes and setting them to Noisy. (Or remove the effect by setting sthe keyframes to Smooth.)"

So right-click the first keyframe of the camera movements (and others if required) and set to smooth. Easy to miss...

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
Wookei

Post by Wookei »

Ah ha!
I always wondered how the hand held camera script worked.
Thanks.