AnimeStudio to DVD

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

removed by me :wink:
Last edited by J. Baker on Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

J. Baker wrote:And if you happen to read this again. I was wondering on why you went with different black and white levels on the "NTSC color safe" option? I believe you went with 12-233 instead of 16-235. My only guess would be to compensate for the color difference. Since tv's have brighter displays then computer screens.
I thought that Anime Studio's conversion did go from 16-235, but I'd have to double-check to be sure. Unfortunately, there's a lot of guesswork involved in NTSC, so don't assume the NTSC conversion option will take care of everything. If the precision of NTSC playback is important to you, be sure to do lots of testing on an appropriate monitor during the production of your animation.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Lost Marble wrote:
J. Baker wrote:And if you happen to read this again. I was wondering on why you went with different black and white levels on the "NTSC color safe" option? I believe you went with 12-233 instead of 16-235. My only guess would be to compensate for the color difference. Since tv's have brighter displays then computer screens.
I thought that Anime Studio's conversion did go from 16-235, but I'd have to double-check to be sure. Unfortunately, there's a lot of guesswork involved in NTSC, so don't assume the NTSC conversion option will take care of everything. If the precision of NTSC playback is important to you, be sure to do lots of testing on an appropriate monitor during the production of your animation.
No problem Mike. I prefer to do the other work in a video editor anyway. I just had noticed when exporting with the safe color feature then using a color picker, the brightest white was 233 and black was 12. But like I said no problems. :wink:
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

After doing more testing it's obvious that a tv's gamma is brighter then a pc's. Even if both your tv and pc are calibrated. Which mine are. TV has been calibrated with "Ovation's Avia". From my testings I've gone from a gamma of 1.0 to about 0.75 when converting to dvd. This seems to keep the brightness and colors the same on tv as they were viewed when you created your animation in AnimeStudio.

This has been updated in the first post. Along with the download for the gamma filter which actually comes zipped with alot of other filters from Emiliano Ferrari's site.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

J. Baker wrote:I just had noticed when exporting with the safe color feature then using a color picker, the brightest white was 233 and black was 12. But like I said no problems. :wink:
Ah, what format are you exporting to? Even if Anime Studio exports 16-235, if there's lossy compression going on, the values may get snapped or rounded, depending on the codec. With any lossy codec, the pixels in the final movie file will no exactly match the pixels that the creating program spit out.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Lost Marble wrote:
J. Baker wrote:I just had noticed when exporting with the safe color feature then using a color picker, the brightest white was 233 and black was 12. But like I said no problems. :wink:
Ah, what format are you exporting to? Even if Anime Studio exports 16-235, if there's lossy compression going on, the values may get snapped or rounded, depending on the codec. With any lossy codec, the pixels in the final movie file will no exactly match the pixels that the creating program spit out.
You're correct. I must have used the lagarith codec or something when I tried it. Just tried it as an uncompressed avi and it was correct, 16-235. Thanks for looking into that. :wink:
CHIO

Post by CHIO »

Hi:

Now I have my project in ADOBE PREMIERE PRO STANDAR (I don´t burn to dvd directly)

First Question:
I must render to avi or mov format compress or uncompressed?

Second Question:
My project is made in 720x568. I must go to 1536x...
Render in adobe premiere to what format avi or mov? with codec or not.

Tercer Question:
Go to virtual dub...

Thanks
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

#2: 1536 seems an odd dimension to me, it certainly isn't any standard format. Are you sure about this?

Anyway, you can at any time change the dimensions of the final output in your project file settings. As long as you're not changing the aspect ratio (like from 4:3 to 16:9), and as long as there are no image layers, the output will be fine.

#1: Just use whatever your video editing program will accept as input file format - but always uncompressed.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Hey CHIO, i see you're using a PAL format, which is fine. Now I only double the rendering resolution by double just so I can reduce it in VirtualDub to get better anti-aliasing. But you don't have to do this.

Just export from AnimeStudio at 720x568. Do any video editing, if needed. Then convert it to a dvd format, mpg or mpv & mpa. Put that in a dvd authoring program and burn it to disc.

You might have to do a few test to get the results you're looking for. So burn to a DVD-RW disc just in case you have to erase and try it again. When you're happy with your results, burn to a DVD-R disc. ;)
Farbklecks

Post by Farbklecks »

Hi
Very needful and interesting.

Is there also a freeware video/film cut software outside in the web?
A software which is also not to hard to learn?
Just a question...
:roll:
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Just updated resolutions for exporting from AnimeStudio for DVD. I basically reworded it so it would confuse anyone. And changed the 16:9 for NTSC as 480 isn't divisible by 16:9. Also added a few more comments.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

slowtiger wrote:#2: 1536 seems an odd dimension to me, it certainly isn't any standard format. Are you sure about this?
Sorry I missed this question. But the 1536 is if you wanted better anti-aliasing, you export at double the resolution. Then in your editing program resize with a bilinear filter. As it gives a softer anti-aliasing.

I've updated the tutorial so it wouldn't confuse anyone.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Farbklecks wrote:Hi
Very needful and interesting.

Is there also a freeware video/film cut software outside in the web?
A software which is also not to hard to learn?
Just a question...
:roll:
I know this is an old question but what do you mean by, "outside in the web"?