bones - video tutorial

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

J. Baker

bones - video tutorial

Post by J. Baker »

Here's a video tutorial on setting up and animating bones. Sometime it's better to watch a video then read a manual. :wink:

EDIT:

Removed WMV tutorial video.

Converted video to Divx. Better quality, higher resolution and smaller file size.
Bones Tutorial - FLV
Last edited by J. Baker on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ingie01

Post by ingie01 »

I agree J.Baker. I thought it was of good quality visually and content contained.
You'll know when you get there! My Dad
hard as snails

Post by hard as snails »

cool tutorial, you got more planned?
hilarity begins at home...
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Well done tutorial!! :D
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Thanks guys!
hard as snails wrote:cool tutorial, you got more planned?
I haven't got any more planned as of now but I'm sure I'll make another. If you have a request, just let me know. :D
cribble

Post by cribble »

Very helpful, i can see it will be very helpful for people starting out and people like me (who are anti-bones mainly because i struggle to use it... err... i didnt say anything...) :D

Maybe a few tutorials that outlines the tool's, colour window, timeline, actions; and a quick demonstration on how to use them etc. Would be ideal for people just starting out who perfer visual demonstrations, rather than written ones.
--Scott
cribble.net
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

I too wanted to thank you for the video tutorial... I'm one of those people that learn much better by watchin git done as opposed to reading how it's done... I for one would be thankful for more video tutorials...
Celeryhart

Post by Celeryhart »

Holy cow... !! You have to bind the points to the bone..?? Well I"ll be darned..!! I didn't pick that up in the tuts...so I can't thank you enough for the visual.
I"ll be watching that a time of two you can count on that..!! Thank you, thank you.

I know it's jumping the gun but I'd like to see a tut on how you make actions for a character. I'm sure any you make though will teach us something. Very, much appreciated.

Celeryhart
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

No problem guys and gals. :wink:
You have to bind the points to the bone..??
You don't have to but I prefer that method. I feel that I have more control over the shape that way.

Sure, I can do an actions tutorial. :D
Celeryhart

Post by Celeryhart »

Well, what you did sure looked smooth and simple to me. I"ve really got to stop coming to this forum.... Sigh... !! I read about all these awesome tricks and then want to learn them all ... NOW.. !! When I can't even change colors easy yet. I have to grab my papers and read them over first.. Crazy.. !!
I saw you use some tools that I had no idea what they were for.... so that is a good thing. Thats why "visual" is so good.
Just take it nice and slow....and maybe people like me will get the drift of all this.
I do like to draw so when I have time I will make some moho "things", and post them so anybody who wants to can use them. It could be a base for them to work from anyway.
I was just at the German Southpark kinda site where you can kinda create a character... take a screen print and then copy it..That is kinda neat.
We need a Moho Library where people can come and get things to use.

Let me know when you post the "actions" tut... I don't want to miss that one.
You are so kind.

PS... I"ve got Moho open and another tut I could use is on what the heck that shapes button is for beside the Styles button on the Styles panel. I did see a tut on making a skin style but of course I don't remember how to do it...but I don't remember anything on that Shapes pull down button...
See, it's simple things like that where help is needed no nothing is too basic to make a tut about.

Celeryhart
ingie01

Post by ingie01 »

I vote for an actions tutorial.
Celeryhart

Post by Celeryhart »

Well, then an actions tutorial it is... !! I"m dying to learn that and I"m sure others are as well. I'm just grateful there are people who can make such good tuts... Yipeeee for them.

ingie01.... I see you live in Kingston, NY. Mercy me, I lived there for a year back in 1970. I"m sure things have changed considerably. Frankly I can't remember too much about it as I was busy with 3 kids... !

Back to finding tuts on Moho.

Celeryhart
ingie01

Post by ingie01 »

Kingston is like that...forgettable. Catskills are a very short hop Hudson Valley is right here and there's the gold. A lot of beauty.
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

I'd also like to vote for an actions tutorial, as well as a walk cycle tutorial... The difficulty I keep having is if trying to do a step action, it has to occur in place, which is difficult because walking is more than just swinging the legs... Then trying to match that up to a layer translation over time... Quite frustrating... Tried using bone locking to get a decent walk, and when unlocking my bone my whole figure moved... Yes, a good detailed walk cycle tutorial would be a godsend...

BTW, I'm sure it doesn't need to be said, but I'm voting for video tutorials... Way easier to learn by seeing it done as opposed to reading with static images...
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Nicely put together tutorial. Clear and concise. Personally if anyone does more I vote Actions or Switches. Most of what I've done is breaking the charcater into bits and just using layer animation.

Hmmm.. maybe it would be useful to animate the exact same leg with actions, switch, layer and point animation so people can understand the difference.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]