Tutorial - How to morph two faces in Moho

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Tutorial - How to morph two faces in Moho

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Moho is not officially made to morph images, but with a little trick using meshes you can create some nice things :)
I hope you enjoy it!
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
synthsin75

Re: Tutorial - How to morph two faces in Moho

Post by synthsin75 »

What a coincidence. I just did this exact thing yesterday.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

synthsin75 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:00 pm What a coincidence. I just did this exact thing yesterday.
Waaa. That looks cool. Did you use the same 'two meshes' technique?
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:19 pm Waaa. That looks cool. Did you use the same 'two meshes' technique?
Yep, one mesh morphed from one image to the other, duplicated, and copied the end frame to frame zero for one.

I did something similar, years ago, using bones to morph the images, but meshes work way better.
If I spent more time with it, I could have folded the teeth under to make the mouth closing more convincing. Still might, if I get bored.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

this was about 3 years ago...

animated masks to reveal the second image -- the face shapes are more or less the same so I didn't need to distort the images -- the "hard work" was aligning the facial features (image scale and positioning) -- I think I aimed for eye and centre of mouth alignment
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I was amused to see how much Einstein looked like a rock star in the middle of this process...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

These were all awesome!
One critique or change I would make is to add another key frame in the middle (somewhere) so the images don't appear to fade out and into the other. maybe the first image doesn't start fading out right away. At any rate thanks for sharing!! I love these kinds of animations I use to have a program called photomorph a lot of fun to play with.

Just realized the date on these comments, I wondered why Victor wasn't using the new quad mesh :oops: :oops: :oops:
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations