need help to give scenes/characters polished look

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

spasmodic_cheese

need help to give scenes/characters polished look

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

http://www.flashfilmmaker.com/sketchpad ... at=0&pos=0

is a small anim of one of my characters and a scene...

I am wondering if anyone knows how i could just make it look good/more pro, to me it doesnt look 'right', i want a more broadcast quality.

Im unsure what I could add or do to it to give it that edge it needs.
ming_goku

Post by ming_goku »

What about a animated shadow under the character? it should give weigth to the robot-clown.
ktron

Post by ktron »

The robo-clown looking out the window?

The BG elements (sky, hills) seem to draw more attention than the character.

- frame the shot so the composition draws the eye to the character?

- maybe some coloured lines?

- some secondary motion?
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

Hard to descrive "broadcast quality", would South Park fit that description if it wasn't so popular? You either like a style or you don't and what is considered "amateuristic" becomes "visionary" once it becomes popular, that's art I guess...

But enough philosophy, I'd say (about the Roboclown right?) use a dark grey or brown for the outline of the background so the character is separated better, a muted/less vibrant palette for the background will help too. Also, this is a fixed camera view. Once you start panning and cutting to different angles it really becomes something totally different. This set-up is not for broadcast but a comic book, knowwhatimean? Animation and stills require a different approach and your drawing style here would work for animation I think but try some different angles and motion.

Good luck,

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

thanks heaps for all your suggestions and comments.

i totally understand where yoru coming from nobudget. i think theres a lack of soul in my work because im trying to fit a norm... which isnt me.

maybe the worlds ready for something thats totally my expression.

Yeh, I dont really like panning scenes that much, I rather cut from camera angle to camera angle...but i'll pan on those scenes if they are long or tall enough. thats just how I am, I can't really see anything wrong with that?

Ktron great food for thought! I agree 100% with everything, thanks!

ming_goku, yeh i definatlyhave to work with my highlights and shadows

Thanks all