dumb problem

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Xork

dumb problem

Post by Xork »

For my life I am having a problem with creating switch layers within a mask, this one is for mouth with teeth and a tongue/back of mouth,
To answer my own question, ... duh, is this the case where the result must be rendered to be viewed?... And another question, is papagayo still required for phoneme interpretations as in earlier versions of Moho.
And again, can a mask be created where .png's and triangulated meshes are involved?
~the management, lol.
slowtiger

Re: dumb problem

Post by slowtiger »

Rendering might be necessary to see if a mask works correctly, this has nothing to do with switch layers. A workflow tip: create your switch layer first and make sure everything works correctly, only then put it into a mask. (or you can simply swicth off masking in its top layer.)

I've worked with mixed masks of several layers without problem. Workflow again: you may want to put all different mask layers into a group layer and set this to "add to mask". Makes things easier in case you want to correct something and need tom temporarily disable masking.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Xork

Post by Xork »

Grazie, Slowtiger, ...
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Xork wrote:For my life I am having a problem with creating switch layers within a mask, this one is for mouth with teeth and a tongue/back of mouth,
To answer my own question, ... duh, is this the case where the result must be rendered to be viewed?... And another question, is papagayo still required for phoneme interpretations as in earlier versions of Moho.
And again, can a mask be created where .png's and triangulated meshes are involved?
~the management, lol.
When I'm using masks with a mouth switch layer, I usually make each mouth shape self-contained in it's own group with it's own mask. I find this easier to manage. The only odd bit is if the character turns his head, the head mask may not mask the mouth as it leaves the head. But this is just an OGL display error and the project should render correctly so we just ignore this during animation.

Alternatively, rather than using a mask, you can just overlay a shape with a hole cut in it. This functions like a mask but since it's not really a 'Moho' mask, the head mask will properly mask it out. Victor Paredes explains his clever technique in thread elsewhere in this forum.

Re: masking a mesh, yes, you can.

The mesh itself will function as a mask, which may be good enough if you have a transparent BG for the image already. Just make the mesh slightly larger than the contour of the image.

If you need to apply a vector mask to the mesh or image, just put the mesh and image inside a group and set up the mask as normal. The image and mesh can be masked but I think it's only necessary to mask the image--the mesh is just there to deform the image.

If you want the mask to be deformed by the mesh, you can do that too. The mask can be an image or a vector, but if choose vector, it needs to be appropriately segmented so it can be deformed properly.

Finally, if you used Crop on the image, reset it. Crop is not compatible with mesh warping, and you'll see unexpected results.

Hope this helps.