Action doesn't import all

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Vanof

Action doesn't import all

Post by Vanof »

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with the animated action.

I did an animation on a character, with bones, switch layer, layer ordering and point animation. I created an action of it, then I export it into a folder.

Then I opened a copy of my character rig (who doesn't have that new action yet) and import the action that I just created. Then (selecting my bone layer) I inserted a copy of my action, into my mainline and the only animation I've got is the bone animation that's it. No switch layer, no layer ordering, no point animation remain. Even into my action itself no point animation no switch layer no layer ordering has keys on it.

Someone had a same problem ?

It works only if I did that on a same rig. Create an animation, making the action, clear the animation in the mainline, and then insert a copy. It works if i stay with the same file.

I did a super simple project to show it.
The "untitled" is the project where i created the action01 I exported that action, and tried to import it into the "untitledd01" and only the bone animation remain.

https://files.fm/u/55ph8meh#_
Greenlaw

Re: Action doesn't import all

Post by Greenlaw »

Just a few thoughts:

I don't normally use Actions the way you describe but I'm wondering, do you have keyframes entered for all the layers when you created the Action?

Even if you did, be aware that you can only insert keys from the Action panel to one selected layer at a time. So if you have the bones layer selected, you will only be inserting the Action to the bones layer, and not the other layers. I don't think Moho can insert keys across multiple selected layers so you will need to insert to each layer separately. (I can't check at the moment so I could be wrong about that. if I am wrong, hopefully somebody can correct me on it.)

More thoughts:

If you're using an Action to insert keys for Smart Bones to drive the other layers (switches, point animation, etc.,) you will of course need all of the same Smart Bone Actions in the other character for this to work. That's more setup but the advantage is that you'll only need to create the Action for the bones layer to drive the others.

As mentioned, I don't normally use Actions this way so these are mostly guesses. Hopefully a user that knows better can confirm the above or offer better explanations.

Good luck!
chucky

Post by chucky »

GO to frame 1, I don't think actions import on 0 :idea:
Vanof

Post by Vanof »

Hi Greenlaw,

Thanks for your reply.

So I'm using this function to create an animations and poses library, to boost the animators work. Otherwise I'm also using the action for other purpose, like you do, I suppose : automate some action(blink, scaling...), or having a shape corrections etc.... but if you've never used action that way, it could be useful (if I figure it out what I did wrong).

For this operation you can copy all the layers properties in once, into the new action.
Instead than selecting a bone and assign an action on it, you have to create a new action (so no bone selected) the action timeline will be pink ish, then on frame one you do a right click on "Maineline" on the action window (the one where all the actions are saved in) and select "Insert copy". You'll see, if you animated : bones, layers, point, color, layer ordering....will be copied in it.
Moho will copy every key-frames from the mainline into that action. So after that, you could "clear" the animation from the document and still be able to "insert copy" from the new action, that you created, into the mainline.

And then that's where my problem start. When I import that action into an other file, it doesn't import all. Only the bones animation.
So for now, what you suggested unfortunately didn't fix my issue. :(
Vanof

Post by Vanof »

chucky wrote:GO to frame 1, I don't think actions import on 0 :idea:
I tried that too, and it doesn't change anything. Because I also thought that could be the problem. I know that the frame "0" and the frame "1" can be trouble makers.

Thanks.
chucky

Post by chucky »

So you create an action by copy pasting from the mainline into a new action , then go to frame 1 and export action. THen open a new file, go to frame 1 and import that saved action, what and that doesn't work?
If you are doing it that way , I can't explain why it won't work.
Vanof

Post by Vanof »

Hi there,

Here I had a short screen cast of what i'm facing of. It's a real short and simple exemple, with triangle square and star. I did animation bone layer order (depth z) switch layer and point anim.

I think it's clear, if not I can explain step by step what I'm doing.

I hope this will help.

Thanks.

Here is the video 11Mo
https://files.fm/u/3nwbh3cp