Adobe Illustrator CC 2015 and Moho Pro 12

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Animator Pro

Adobe Illustrator CC 2015 and Moho Pro 12

Post by Animator Pro »

Hi guys! Can anybody give me an advice about using Adobe Illustrator CC 2015 files and importing it into Moho for animation. Illustrations in Moho simple aren't good enough compared with Illustrator. So, is it possible to import that file into Moho with all details (separate layers, color swatches, shading, variable width etc) or I can expect difficulties? Thank you in advance!
dueyftw

Re: Adobe Illustrator CC 2015 and Moho Pro 12

Post by dueyftw »

I would try to saving to svg. Then opening in Moho. For the longest time the vector import was very limited. With Moho 12 there are some major improvements.
The problem with svg is that every program seems to have a slight different version. Some things come across from AI to Moho and other will not.

Moho is an animation tool first. The free hand tool sucked for a long time. now it's just bad. Most of the users use the add point tool to draw. It gives more control than that of the free hand tool in AI. In time you can get quite fast with it.

Dale
Animator Pro

Post by Animator Pro »

Thanks Dale, I will try your approach. I also have Wacom Intuos Pro tablet and I wouldn't like to use Add points tool in Moho and have tablet just as decoration!
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Animator Pro wrote:Thanks Dale, I will try your approach. I also have Wacom Intuos Pro tablet and I wouldn't like to use Add points tool in Moho and have tablet just as decoration!
You need to lift off the tablet every time you need to make a point. I wish it could be set to stop movement, but using a mouse is faster than the tablet.

Dale
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

If you already have a Pro tools, why would you go outside the Adobe package?
Illustrator have artboards, Adobe has Animate, yet PS have a timeline so - what exactly you`re trying to overcome?

*Let`s keep the AE and especially TVP as a side note... ,)
Animator Pro

Post by Animator Pro »

Because I have issues when I want to draw my character in separate layers. More specific, I struggle a lot with drawing a joints on arms and legs. I thougt it would be easier to do inside Moho.
heinschultz

Post by heinschultz »

Hi there, thought I'd chip in on this thread. I recently bought Moho 12 with the hope of migrating our character rigging and animation over to it from After Effects. We have quite a set pipeline with assets being drawn and broken up in illustrator, then rigged and animated in AF. Initially I had troubling porting the vector drawings over from AI. The illustrator 8 export limit is quite silly tbh. I tried many other formats and options of those formats. Eventually and thanks to wip's advice on this, I can now export SVG's to Moho with all colour and point information coming across perfectly. He suggested trying SVG Tiny 1.2 and in advanced options set the decimal value up to 3. Voila!

On to a question. I tried making colour changes to the illustrator file and re-exporting (overwriting the file with the same filename) in the hope the new colours would reflect in Moho. But alas. :-( Is there perhaps a button I'm overlooking? Perhaps a "refresh media" kind of button for vector artwork? I know when you create a character from scratch inside Moho in a separate file, then referencing that rigged file into a new scene, refreshing the media does reflect the new colours, but I was hoping for the same thing for imported assets like SVG's etc.

Thanks in advance
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I think this only works for bitmaps, since that's a container format where Moho doesn't change any of the content. Vector information, OTOH, is converted into Moho's own way of storing.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
heinschultz

Post by heinschultz »

Rats! Was hoping it was something I missed. Thanks for the reply slowtiger, will give the PSD method a go.
cynthia

Post by cynthia »

I have a client who made his art in illustrator 2015. So I saved it to version 8 and imported it into Moho. I also tried exporting to SVP, but wasn't happy with colours, loss of layers and too many points as other people have pointed out. The client's art is beautifully organized into body parts, but all paths, not layers. Then I found a very useful video on how to convert illustrator paths to layers, and export all to photoshop.

It worked really well and took way less time than trying to recreate those body part layers in Moho. I went from this:

to this

to this