smartbone - headturn + other = weird movement

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

superon

smartbone - headturn + other = weird movement

Post by superon »

no doubt someone knows what i mean just from the title there, if not i'll attempt to explain in a way that doesn't mean i'm explaining for the next 3 weeks..

i made a head turn (smartbone), fine. i made an eyeblink (smartbone), fine. i introduce the head turn into the timeline, fine... i add the blink, not fine, some reason the blink now doesn't work with the headturn turned.

more info, i attempted to have 2 blinks (separate bones), one for facing forwards and one for facing sidewards. i imported a copy of the head turn into the blink (sidewards) so the eyelids would be set to the correct position ready to blink, i found i needed to do this then remove animation from document after current frame (in actions) in order to have this setup correctly otherwise the head turn sort of attempts to continue past itself.

also i'm trying to use reference layers to reduce the amount of layer swapping whilst working on animations, having "condensed" the head down to 8 layers from around 40, the eyes are compiled on one layer and reference around 10 times to complete the maskings correctly (or at least how i want them), now after fiddling around and finding that i need to occasionally either sync channel to original or update layer references i find that simply attempting to move a point within the eye layer can take a full minute.
looks like it can't handle moving the references so easily, so i'm wondering if abandoning the whole referencing idea is probably going to save me time after all.

really though i just want to understand how to get the smartbones setup so they integrate with each other rather than (as they appear now) battling against each other.