correct character setup for diffrent body parts simultaneous

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

urgum

correct character setup for diffrent body parts simultaneous

Post by urgum »

Hello
I have a task to animate at the same time head turn from side to side and up and down and changing character emotions or, more generally, state of face.

for example to turn head from bottom left to top right and to open mouth very wide for showing teeth and tongue and so on.
Or to turn character from face state to profile state and at the same time to pick his nose

is there a proper workflow to accomplish this task? To make animation reusable
Or the only way to do this is frame by frame animation?
dueyftw

Re: correct character setup for diffrent body parts simultan

Post by dueyftw »

It is done by smart bones.

You set up a rig to move limbs, hands, feet and head.Then,

You use smart bones to make recurring movements. Let say you want to move the head left and right. With a face forwared you can make a smart bone to move left and right. The smart bone has it's own time line and in it you can have the eyes, nose and mouth move left and right. You can also make the hair change to match the changes. With another smart bone you now can do the head up and down.

With complex rigs those two bones can point to a controller bone and then all you have to do is move that one bone for up, down, left and right.

With extremely complex rigs you can add a 2.5d effect.

Dale
urgum

Post by urgum »

Thank you very much for your answer!
Stil i want to understand some details.
It is okey when a character moves in single direction. there is a smart bone that describes in its timeline this movement.
but what i should do in circumstances when for example, crocodile head moves in diagonal direction (from bottom right to top left) and that crocodile opens its mouth?
There is a lot of additional detais which are in one smart bone action and are not in another one and, accordingly, one action could not affect anothe one.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I recommend that you watch videos. Search for Moho Smart Bones. Take your time there is a lot to learn.

Dale