How do you Manage your colors?

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

hano

How do you Manage your colors?

Post by hano »

Ok, so I have Anime Studio 11 and managing my colors is just a nightmare considering my background in Mangastudio.

So how do you consistently use the same color? The colorpicker doesn't help unless you're copying color scheme from a different object.

So for example I have an armor in one layer. I decided to use a gradient for the highlights.
How do I easily choose the armor original color in the highlight? Or do I just memorize the value of the color?

Can I create my own swatches? Furthermore, can you use your swatch to apply color to a gradient?

Any tips would be appreciated.
Greenlaw

Re: How do you Manage your colors?

Post by Greenlaw »

You should use Custom Styles throughout your production. Custom Styles can be imported from scene to scene and they can help you preserve consistency. They can also make it easier to make global changes in the document.

You should be able to store Custom Styles in the Library too. (I did this occasionally in 11 but I don't think I've tried this with the new 12 Library yet.)

How you name and apply your styles depends on your workflow. For certain characters, I create custom styles with their name in front of the color. This is useful if you have similar but not exactly the same colors and styles for different characters, and avoid conflicts. Try not to go overboard though--using too many custom styles can clutter your scene and make it more confusing.

(I tend to use custom styles for elements that are used several times across many layer in a character, which makes it easier to change all the layers that share that style in a single edit.)

Alternatively, you can set up color vector tiles that you can import to a scene, and pick the style properties off the tiles. This is how I used to do this before ASP 11.

Something else I've done in the past was to import an element or character from other scene and pick the styles and colors from it. When I'm done, I delete the imported element from the scene.

Edit: I just looked at the new Moho Pro 12 Library and I see that Styles can be used in it like in 11.

Edit 2: Gradient settings can be saved in Styles too, although there are some limitations to how you can do this. This would be true for any of the Style Effects, which kinda exist as their own thing.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
hano

Post by hano »

Thanks a lot.
I will try this when I go back.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

You can also create custom images to use in/as colour picker - so you could create an armour detail image, with the colours you need - it doesn't need to look like a grid of swatches, then in the drop down above the swatches you can load the image in 'custom image...'.

You can also put images into your 'swatches' folder in your custom content and it will always be available in the drop down menu directly, so easy to bring up different element colours you need between documents.