Paths and Bones

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

amanandink

Paths and Bones

Post by amanandink »

Hi All
One a recent project we were doing, we had a character that was wearing a suit of armour, interlocking triangle shapes. We came up with a build method of using a path to attach the armour pieces too. I havent seen it around much so I though I would post it here. We also used the same principle to create a smoke monster.
Here is a rough mock up of what I mean.
there are 3 bones to control the arm pieces and the vector path layer only. the path is point bound in this case, to the 3 bones of arm. the individual armour pieces are in rows and are attached to the path, so they are not directly effected by the bones. the space between them is compressed and expanded depending on the squash and stretch of the path, so the actual armour pieces are not changing shape. Each row of armour is set to rotate to follow path and are rigged incase we need to move each individual piece.
changing the curvature of the path points will create sharp corners as opposed to curved like this example.

here is a link to the moho file for this example if anyone would like to have a look at the construction in more detail
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

enjoy
j
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Paths and Bones

Post by Víctor Paredes »

That is fantastic!
Thank you for sharing it!
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Amazing! Thanks so much for taking the time to come and share it...
Because they are all little bones, they can also be controlled with a smart bone - clever! :)

amanandink

Post by amanandink »

Here is actually the other element that uses the same technique.
Because everything is animated in its screen position by just attaching to the path there can be smaller loops on each element, in this one, each circle is rotating, although with the flat colour and the perfect circles its quite hard to see