psd import alpha channel error, white lines

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chuckpatti78

psd import alpha channel error, white lines

Post by chuckpatti78 »

To begin, hello! First post but by no means a graphic or animation newbie. That being said, I'm still figuring out the ins/outs of ASP and need some guidance on this issue. I've searched the forums pretty well and have come up short - hence the new topic. If this has been answered elsewhere please haze me appropriately and notify me of the relevant, already-discussed topic and I'll read it quietly in defeat.

Last night I imported a psd file (Elements, Mac Yosemite) at 600px, scaled it down, applied opacity changes to the bmps, mixed in vectors... everything was Working Fine. Here's a glimpse of clean edges.

Today I get to work and get this.

Hopefully the pics make clear but there seems to be some stubbornness on ASP's part to render psd alpha correctly. I tried changing display quality, exporting with antialiasing, smooth and alpha options checked and not and always produce the same result. Also messed with the layer > general, and layer > shadow options to no avail.

Anyone know what I'm missing? I'm extremely reluctant to recreate these images in vector in ASP, as I have very large amount of years spent working in and being comfortable with Photoshop. I also know (from the first example) that success is possible. Is this maybe a permissions (or some mac maintenance) failure, where Elements is writing the alpha channel one way, ASP reading it another? Any help would be... helpful. This program is definitely worth whatever learning curve will get me there. Thanks.
chuckpatti78

Re: psd import alpha channel error, white lines

Post by chuckpatti78 »

Alright, so I guess ignore my impatience - solved it (or found a workaround). When importing a psd as individual layers (to be displayed in ASP within a group), ASP renders them correctly. The same file imported as a single layer, which ASP imports not in a group but as an independent image layer, renders with the white line around it where there should be antialiasing. Bizarreness.

Sorry to clutter the forums, especially on my first (and second) post(s).
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

When AS has to composite multiple PSD layers, the anti-aliasing of each layer "stacks", usually leading to more aliased edges.
chuckpatti78

Post by chuckpatti78 »

Yeah, that was the source of my confusion - the multi-layer file rendered fine, the single layer file did not. If I understand what you mean by composites, the multi-layer files (first in the post) didn't contain any significantly overlapping layers and no duplicate layers and had no noticeable aliasing. The same file, with all but one layer removed and reimported to AS, displayed the aliasing shown in the second pic. I was confused that the aliasing happened at all on the single layer file and thought I'd f'd something up before intuiting that AS seems to prefer multi-layer PS files. Probably didn't make that clear - I bad at communicate. From now on any test files imported from PS will have at least two layers. Thanks for the feedback!