How do I make points rounded?-Solved

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Hartknocks

How do I make points rounded?-Solved

Post by Hartknocks »

Crosspost from How do I?

Disclaimer: New to animation!

So I was drawing and I found out a cool way to make a quick "splat." What I do is draw a circle with the freehand tool, so it has points all around it. Then I take the transform points tool and pull individual points out and when it's not animated they pull out rounded to form a splat. Like so http://imgur.com/j89ZNPF When I animate it it becomes pointed. Now I know point is even in the name and all that, but is there anyway around this so where it animates still rounded? Besides just freehand drawing it/using onion skins? I tried the curvature tool, but I don't think that will work. I tried adding more points but it doesn't really help either.

For some reason I can't post 2 links, but just imagine the first one with the ends pointed.
Last edited by Hartknocks on Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbtamu

Re: How do I make points rounded?

Post by sbtamu »

Did you use the curvature tool on accident?
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Hartknocks

Post by Hartknocks »

No, when I draw a circle and pull the points on it out on pause, it shows them as rounded like in the picture, but when I try to animate the splat, all of those curves become pointed at the ends where I pulled it out. Each arm on that splat is just 1 point being pulled out on the circle. I was saying I tried to use curvature tool to fix it, but it either doesn't help or maybe not using it right? I watched the tutorial on the curvature tool, you can use it to make areas between 2 points curved, but this only has one point being pulled out from the circle.

I get a somewhat better result when using 2 points, I suppose if I add more points at the end of the curve it would round out? It would probably be just easier to freehand a splat, but this way just seemed pretty cool because it makes it look legit when making it, but totally changes the way it looks when it's being animated.

Image is what it looks like when animating.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Can't you just select all points and do a Ctrl-M? Or do I not understand what you are trying to do?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Something is wrong with it doing this. It is not supposed to do this unless you tell the program to make the points sharp. Have you tried deleting all animations from the layer and trying over?
Sorry for bad animation

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Your screenshot shows the timeline playing. AS shows a lower quality in an attempt to get real-time playback. It will be smooth when you render an animation...or even use the arrow key to play the timeline.
Hartknocks

Post by Hartknocks »

synthsin75 wrote:Your screenshot shows the timeline playing. AS shows a lower quality in an attempt to get real-time playback. It will be smooth when you render an animation...or even use the arrow key to play the timeline.

Yes you are right, it does work when I render it, and did work when I would move the arrow keys. Is there no way to fix this or is this just how it works and I'll have to take it into consideration in the future?
Hartknocks

Post by Hartknocks »

jahnocli wrote:Can't you just select all points and do a Ctrl-M? Or do I not understand what you are trying to do?
On frame 0 I draw a circle using free hand. Then pull points out at say frame 30 to make the smooth splat. When I play it back, the rounded splats become pointed.

I tried that, but it doesn't smooth out on playback, but someone else said it will render it smooth. Which it did, it's just confusing when trying to preview it and it's not right.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Hartknocks wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:Your screenshot shows the timeline playing. AS shows a lower quality in an attempt to get real-time playback. It will be smooth when you render an animation...or even use the arrow key to play the timeline.
Yes you are right, it does work when I render it, and did work when I would move the arrow keys. Is there no way to fix this or is this just how it works and I'll have to take it into consideration in the future?
You could use File>Preview Animation.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

On my computer the canvas splat still looks rounded. Sometimes I see just a little difference between the canvas and rendered but nothing to the extreme they are experiencing.
Sorry for bad animation

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

sbtamu wrote:On my computer the canvas splat still looks rounded. Sometimes I see just a little difference between the canvas and rendered but nothing to the extreme they are experiencing.
I can get this result with GPU acceleration enabled, but it is smooth with it disabled.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

synthsin75 wrote:
sbtamu wrote:On my computer the canvas splat still looks rounded. Sometimes I see just a little difference between the canvas and rendered but nothing to the extreme they are experiencing.
I can get this result with GPU acceleration enabled, but it is smooth with it disabled.
I have GPU acceleration enabled. Weird.
Sorry for bad animation

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

sbtamu wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:
I have GPU acceleration enabled. Weird.
Do you have a dedicated graphics card? On Windows 8, I had to tell it to use my dedicated graphics for AS, otherwise it would use the integrated graphics (which would probably act as if there was no real GPU acceleration in AS, regardless of the AS setting). If you've verified AS is using your dedicated graphics, this may be card specific, although I have a high-end GeForce GTX 970M.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

That would most likely be the reason. I am using windows 8.1.
Sorry for bad animation

Hartknocks

Post by Hartknocks »

synthsin75 wrote:
Hartknocks wrote:
You could use File>Preview Animation.
Preview animation still shows it pointed, although hitting preview on a certain frame shows them rounded.