SHARE EDUCATIONAL VIDEOS

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

antlan

Re: SHARE EDUCATIONAL VIDEOS

Post by antlan »

I checked out your youtube channel greats videos btw. I gotta question for everyone, its something i been kinda stuck on. What process do you guys use when creating a animated story do you do as you go or map everything out such as dialogue and scenes?
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

antlan wrote:greats videos btw

I think the more you plan the faster the actual animation will go. Greenlaw has provided some great feedback on this question. Here are some links that you might find interesting, but I'm sure you can find more.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27976
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27833

It may seem like "just winging it" will save time, but in reality planning up from saves time, but helping you make the critical decisions up front. For small videos and just learning exercises "winging it" can be fine, and you may wonder "why do I need to do all of those things", but "winging it" just doesn't scale well. I think you will really regret embarking on a larger adventure without the planning. The biggest cost will likely be in the rework when something doesn't turn out exactly as you had envisioned.

Frame by frame can actually help you plan right in Anime Studio. So, if one of the barriers is that you don't want to get out of ASP to do the planning, FBF might be helpful. I created a quick video about it here.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27705

One simple example that can help you quickly see the value of planning is creating a head turn (3/4 left to 3/4 right is fine) for a high quality character. For a circle type head it may not seem to matter much, but if the character has more of a manga style head and you really want it "on model", try it first without drawing the 3/4 reference views. Then try it with. You'll see that creating the head turn with reference views that you just need to match is much much faster, especially if you're including all features. If you want a real fun item try a full profile turn and up and down movement with emotion control over all the facial features and see how many things have to be worked out. Doing them "on the fly" can work, but you're likely to hit frustrations.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. Hope that helps.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

I just added a video on converting characters from older approaches to new approaches. I'm converting some of my bitmapped characters to vector using masked eyes and smooth head turns.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28173
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

When I posed my Jace 2.0 video, some people asked for a more detailed explanation of how to control switch layers with smart bones, so I've just added a new video explaining that.

The video does talk about newer approaches, such as reference layers, but could be done with any version of Anime Studio that uses smart bones. I also talk about some of the problems that you can encounter, if your fairly new to smart bones, and how you can resolve them. One other point, I forgot to mention in the video, is that if you have lots of switch layers, the loop switch script http://animestudioscripts.com/script.php?script=55, by David Rylander, can make it trivial to populate the smart bone action with the switch layers. (I modified that one for myself, but you could use it as is.)

Hope the video helps people.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

People asked for a more detailed video on creating the head turn and combining it with the 3/4 and front view. I've just added a video for that. Really not much new for experts, but hopefully it provides some help and hints for those that are just learning how to do the head turns, smart bones and switch layers.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Excellent explanation. I like the idea of laying a image layer with the opacity turned down as an overlay. Very cool.

The idea of using smart bones to switch views and use point motion to transition seamlessly between views holds a lot promise I think. This avoids that endless quest of trying to make one set of vectors and layers do a complete 180 or 360. I posted roughly the same idea at the other forum, but it was too complex. Your rig is more understandable and certainly your explanation is clearer.

Thanks for sharing the video.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Thanks neeters_guy I appreciate your feedback and encouragement :)
joshtaylor

Post by joshtaylor »

Lovely collection of videos here i found.....keep sharing :mrgreen:
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Here's a video to explain switch layers to help beginners, since I got some questions on the topic.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Just some tips I've learned when using squash and stretch for head construction.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

I've been playing around with arm construction techniques for a character I'm working on. Since there are so many different approaches, especially around dealing with elbows, I thought I'd do a video comparing and contrasting them. I even include the sketch bones from 11.2. Cool :D

Here's the link to the video. It also links to other videos on binding, smart bones, and shape creation if people don't know much about them. The video is a discussion on just about all the techniques I know, so it's a long video (27 minutes), but I've added links so you can fast forward to different points.

I also created a short quick video on my favorite techniques. That video links back to the specific techniques.

I didn't include patch layers. I know about them, and I have used them, but I think they're really confusing to people and I think there are more powerful techniques available now. If people have other approaches they like that I didn't discuss I'd be interested in learning about them. There are so many creative approaches to things, there's always something to learn :)
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Here's a quick video on creating cuffs (part goes in front, part goes behind).
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Knee Rig

I've added a video on how I do knee rigs here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28849&p=163706#p163706
antlan

Post by antlan »

Does anyone know if a( masked mouth) can be rigged to sync with audio without having to manually move the points to form the sound shape?

heres a video of how to do a (mouth mask) to more explain what im talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV6xYDbZoyw

thanks in advance