FBF for Cleanup

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

strider2000

FBF for Cleanup

Post by strider2000 »

Don't know why I didn't think about this sooner. I guess I tend to think of FBF as a big involved process. Today it struck me that I easily use FBF to paint out some types of problems in the animation. Duh. Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner :oops:

For me one of the biggest challenges is getting a nice full shoulder rotation combined with a body turn. The problem for me is similar to the combined head turn with head up and down, there's no easy way to combine the effects of two smart bones (that I know of). Plus, you can't animate hide edge :(

One of the artifacts I get is the outline for the shoulder rendering on top of the arm when it's behind in the turn. I've tried a number of techniques (currently using patch layers) with varying degrees of success, but always have some artifact that is not quite right. (If people have good suggestions on that I'd love to hear.)

Anyway ... it just hit me today ... Use FBF to paint the lines the way you want (including painting out strokes)! Still looking for the perfect shoulder rotation and body turn technique :) but the FBF approach seems great for any last minute tweaks, not just complex segments where you animate a significant portion of the character.

This is probably obvious to all the experts, but for those new to FBF and/or animation I put up a quick explanation here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBXrmqM0AS0
funksmaname

Re: FBF for Cleanup

Post by funksmaname »

Hey strider, I think this is overkill for this particular use case. You could just create a simple (no more points than you really need) green filled shape that will cover the line, you can animate that with your arm smart bone so it matches every time, and you can toggle its visibility if needed. I do think there's some merit in your technique here, but probably for more complex use case :)
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

strider2000 wrote:Don't know why I didn't think about this sooner. I guess I tend to think of FBF as a big involved process. Today it struck me that I easily use FBF to paint out some types of problems in the animation. Duh. Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner :oops:

For me one of the biggest challenges is getting a nice full shoulder rotation combined with a body turn. The problem for me is similar to the combined head turn with head up and down, there's no easy way to combine the effects of two smart bones (that I know of). Plus, you can't animate hide edge :(

One of the artifacts I get is the outline for the shoulder rendering on top of the arm when it's behind in the turn. I've tried a number of techniques (currently using patch layers) with varying degrees of success, but always have some artifact that is not quite right. (If people have good suggestions on that I'd love to hear.)

Anyway ... it just hit me today ... Use FBF to paint the lines the way you want (including painting out strokes)! Still looking for the perfect shoulder rotation and body turn technique :) but the FBF approach seems great for any last minute tweaks, not just complex segments where you animate a significant portion of the character.

This is probably obvious to all the experts, but for those new to FBF and/or animation I put up a quick explanation here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBXrmqM0AS0
One of the major problems with AS is that it will suffer from point and bone overload. When you have complex characters they will hog your computer to the point that AS is so slow that you can't animate.
This technique could be very useful in complex motions like a head turn with segmented hair. Where you might have 6 separate shapes that overlap and patch layer just wont work to make it look right as the head turns.
The problem I have with it is he is using the blob brush. It's making way too many points. The add point tool with auto stroke off would be better than the blob brush.

Dale
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

funksmaname wrote:... You could just create a simple (no more points than you really need) green filled shape ...
dueyftw wrote:The problem I have with it is he is using the blob brush.
:oops:
Good point guys. I don't really use the blob brush, because prior to 11, I didn't really paint much with AS and it was just an idea that hit me. I didn't even look at the number of points and just checked it out. Wow! I see what you mean. I was easy to create, but lots of points! Thanks for the "pointers" :lol: (Sorry for the pun :)

But you're right the main point is just an idea for using FBF that I hadn't thought of before.