Custom macro keyboards using phone .

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chucky

Custom macro keyboards using phone .

Post by chucky »

Hey here's a cool suggestion for cintiq users, get a cheap tablet ( or large phone) and use it as a programmable macro keyboard that replaces those stupid buttons that it has. You can fit dozens of individualised buttons which saves a lot of time and agony.
You can customise for any software and it sits nice and close right on the tablet (with some yellow tak) or some such.
I use a pc/android combo(dirtyhand.me about five bux) but I'm sure there's mac/iOS solutions.
Here's a quick and dirty video showing it, I should do a better one down the track when I find time.
Paulinho

Re: Custom macro keyboards using phone .

Post by Paulinho »

chucky wrote:I'm sure there's mac/iOS solutions.
Yes, there is one: Actions for iPad. Works with Windows, too (while the app is iOs, of course).
strider2000

Re: Custom macro keyboards using phone .

Post by strider2000 »

Super cool! Chucky, thank you for sharing this. The very fact that the keys on the smartphone/tablet are lighted with meaningful text/image is a life saver :)

For those that may be interested I'll share a couple of other point I noticed.
  • You'll want to download the DHKServer on your PC
  • You'll also need to download an app for either Windows phone or Android device (iPhone is not supported)
  • Android tablets are supported, that's what I used
  • Some of the apps on the playstore are free, but they're not what you want
  • You want to get the editable keyboard. Costs about 2.59. Well worth it!
  • Set up is easy as Chucky says
  • Actions are only for iPad, they claim to be working on one for 6+, but it's not out yet and it may not work on smaller form factors