Give more dynamic to your cartoons

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

p6r

Give more dynamic to your cartoons

Post by p6r »

Here you can see the real difference between no "dynamic outlines" given to a cartoon or "dynamic outlines" (pen pressure with a graphic tablet !) :

p6r

Post by p6r »

On those graphics, you can see better the difference and the use of pen pressure : (.gif format loses graphic quality !)

cribble

Post by cribble »

Yes, thank god for pen tablets... Although i have a little rule i perfer to stick by. Only use Vari-lines for either the characters or background, not both at the same time - because it looks like mess of lines and different widths and ohh god!

Although i find if you use a complementary coloured outline, using vari-lines look fine then. EG: Red Fill, deeper red outline.
--Scott
cribble.net
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Although i find if you use a complementary coloured outline, using vari-lines look fine then. EG: Red Fill, deeper red outline.
(Pedantic explanation follows. If you don't give a damn about the accuracy of definitions, look away now) Strictly speaking, a complementary colour scheme is blue-orange, red-green or purple-yellow -- so-called opposite colours on a "colour wheel". One complements the other, in line with the human optical colour system. If you stare at a bright orange shape for a minute or so, then look away to a light background, you will see a blue version of the shape you just looked at. That's a complementary colour.

J
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I think what was meant here is using a darker shade of the fill color for outllines.

To see why that is, I did three experiments with moving rectangles:

Image Image
It seems if the contrast between the fill colour and the outline color is too great, the outine gets visually seperated and looks like it is not a part of the fill.

From the lower example I can see that the darkness of the outline color depends on the immediate surroundings of the outline: a darker background means a darker outline color and vice versa. Of course, I already knew that from my drawing classes.

You may also notice that an outline helps us to see if an object is cropped by the screen edges.
cribble

Post by cribble »

jahnocli wrote: (Pedantic explanation follows. If you don't give a damn about the accuracy of definitions, look away now) Strictly speaking, a complementary colour scheme is blue-orange, red-green or purple-yellow -- so-called opposite colours on a "colour wheel". One complements the other, in line with the human optical colour system. If you stare at a bright orange shape for a minute or so, then look away to a light background, you will see a blue version of the shape you just looked at. That's a complementary colour.

J
Thanks for correcting me, as you can plainly see i don't know what i'm talking about thus not having a degree nor a grade 8 in animation.

Cheers, Rasheed for doing these tests. Really, i shouldn't of blabbered my trap about the outline business because it's all down to personal prefernce and the style they want to achieve.
--Scott
cribble.net