v10.1 character wizard head turn tip

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

braj

v10.1 character wizard head turn tip

Post by braj »

In 10 (or 10.1) the ability to copy and paste layers was added, so, if you use the Character Wizard, it is super easy now to create a head turn after making your character. Just:

1. create a switch layer in the aspect (ie Front version of your character) above the Head layer
2. move the head layer into it, rename it to Front
3. go to another other aspect layers (3/4 Front for example) and copy the head
4. paste it into the new head switch layer
5. After adding the heads you need, copy that switch layer to the other appropriate aspects.
6. Do the same for each aspect layer, adding the heads that make sense for your character to those head switch layers.

It won't be fancy, but it will be functional, and you can add a smartbone to control it, though ctrl-alt clicking works for me and doesn't require more work.

In v9 I tried to do this, of course it was possible by duplicating and moving layers manually, but it was hard enough to make it not worthwhile. Now with a character, you can do it fairly fast and painlessly, especially when only using a couple aspects and a couple head turn layers. I know fancy headturns are all the rage, and most definitely better, and the CW has a lot to be desired, but especially for busy,amateur people that may need simple bodies and help with hands etc, it is helpful and makes the characters created much more dynamic. Along with using your own heads, noses, adding a tie, a tail etc it makes the CW much more useful for me.
braj

Re: v10.1 character wizard head turn tip

Post by braj »

Oh one other CW headturn tip: If you do happen to create a new-fangled fancy headturn that you want to use, you can include it in your Character Wizard/Heads folder, color the skin the default yellow and hair the default cyan, and the bones used will only be accessible from the head bone layer, but it will work. Create all the components with the character like eyes, nose etc, and just select 'none' for those items in CW. I found it helpful for working out body proportions with a fully rigged character when I only had the head created, so even if you aren't going to use the CW character, it can be useful for prototyping and storyboarding when you at least have a head to start with.