Working over a .mov file

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Furpuss

Working over a .mov file

Post by Furpuss »

I'm working on a frame-by-frame project and have imported a .mov file of some hand-drawn animation I did in order to work on top of it in AS9.5. So essentially it is nothing more than rotoscoping. However, as I step thru the frames sequentially AS skips ahead and sometimes drops frames altogether. Everything is out of sync. This is completely unacceptable. In rotoscoping, every frame must be displayed accurately.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and does anyone have any ideas for solutions?

Thanks-
Furpuss
slowtiger

Re: Working over a .mov file

Post by slowtiger »

First thing to check: is the movie displayed with the correct frame rate (see image tab), and is the project's frame rate the same?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Try using different codecs for your source material. Some codecs get wonky when scrubbing trough them.
Furpuss

Post by Furpuss »

Thank you so much, Lucas! I had no idea what a codec was so I did some research. It's pretty complicated but I found one that worked perfectly so that the source video is now in perfect sync with the AS project.

Basically, in Quicktime 7, I saved it as a QT movie with Animation compression. The key option was to select ALL keyframes @ 24FPS. What this does is to compress EVERY frame instead of saving changes over several key frames.

AS is now happy & so am I-

Furpuss