Keeping Line Width In Multiple Files The Same

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

drumlug13

Keeping Line Width In Multiple Files The Same

Post by drumlug13 »

I'm hoping that some of the AS Gurus will chime in here and share their tips & techniques for keeping an appearance of a uniform line width in artwork. Especially when you are creating several files of characters, props, scenery, etc. that you plan to import together.

Also, here is an issue that I ran into today that totally baffles me. Yesterday I made a police station. It's broken up into about 20 layers. All of the artwork was created with a line width of 2. Today I opened the file, then I imported a subway train and platform that I had made last year. The line widths from the old file were much wider than the police station, so I went through all the layers of the subway & platform reset all the lines to a width of 2 (that took about 15 minutes). All of the artwork looked really good together.

Then I started working on some more scenery today, keeping all my line widths at 2. But when I rendered a frame, I noticed that the artwork from today had a bit of a thicker look. I checked the previous artwork (police station, subway & platform), all of it now had a Line Width of 1.35. That's about 30 to 35 layers of artwork that somehow changed all of their line widths.

I would love to know how this happened.
Adam
jezjones29

Re: Keeping Line Width In Multiple Files The Same

Post by jezjones29 »

Scale compensation in the layer's settings will resize the line widths when resizing the groups/layers. I would turn this off for what you need.

note: Lines can also have a line percentage as well as a width - use 'draw' > 'reset line width' to get them back to 100% then use the line width in the style menu.
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

Thanks for the reply Jez

Scale Compensation doesn't work as a group. You have to check/uncheck that option on each individual vector layer nested inside a group folder.

I have noticed that AS10 is using percentage outside of the styles window now. For the issue I described above... All points in the artwork are at 100%. They were drawn at a line width of 2. I still can't figure out how everything changed to 1.35. I haven't re-scaled anything at a vector layer or group layer.

I've noticed that some of the shortcut keys have changed. I am wondering if I could have unknowingly hit a new hotkey or shortcut option that could have changed all line widths. I can't think of another way that 35 layers can suddenly change.
Adam
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Changing the document settings dimensions will change the line widths style settings to maintain the predefined styles stroke width.
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

Yep ... You beat me to it :D ... I was working in HD when the line widths were set at 2. Then they switched to the 1.35 when I changed it to standard
Adam