what codec for rendering & how do i add compress

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

skygaz3r

what codec for rendering & how do i add compress

Post by skygaz3r »

hello guys,

i just wanted to ask which codec you can recommend (i upload animations on youtube 720 HD and 24 frames). on my old computer the quality was okay (but sound was terrible) but every time the rendering was done AS9 crashed. now on my new notebook i just cant find a proper codec. if i render i get a little loss in the quality. so is there any codec you can recommend me?
Last edited by skygaz3r on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sorry, my english isn't good ;(
dueyftw

Re: what codec for rendering

Post by dueyftw »

For the moment I would use anything that works on your machine then convert to YouTube.

Codec for YouTube is H264. I use Handbrake to convert all other video to this codec.

http://handbrake.fr/

Dale
skygaz3r

Re: what codec for rendering

Post by skygaz3r »

thank you :)
i tried H264 and it works! only thin is that the colours get a little bit darker or more intense
skygaz3r

Re: what codec for rendering & how do i add compress

Post by skygaz3r »

Hmm the quality is still not alrigt (color is way 2 dark).
On my old Computer with AS 9.1 i always chose the Output Format "AVI Movie", after that selection i had the choice with what program i want to compress, i always used ffdshow video codec and on my notebook that i use now. i installed the latest version of this codec, but in the compress selection it doenst appear. how can i add additional compress programms?
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Do a web search. There are websites that have codec's for download. Handbrake has converted everything I throw at it. Personally I only have a few codec on my computers. K-Lite basic should be fine.
If your using Anime Studio 9.1 you should update.

http://anime.smithmicro.com/updates.html

Dale
skygaz3r

Post by skygaz3r »

i installed the K-Lite basic before and still i dont get the choice 2 use any of the codes 2 compress.

i always had the choice to select ffdshow video codec but it doenst appear
(its in german) http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/3488/wow2czl8_jpg.htm
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Color changes probably have way more to do with your entire computer system than an "incorrect codec".

I would suggest you calibrate your monitor. When I work with Anime Studio on Mac or Windows, there is ALWAYS color shifting. On Windows colors are "darker" because of different gamma setting. Both platforms display color differently. The only way to "fix" this is to have a properly calibrated monitor or to shift the color display to "fake" what the colors would look like on different systems.

I spent years in the print world with computers. We had to jump through major hoops to calibrate monitors so that what we saw on the screen was the same as what got printed. This concept isn't limited to print. It effects any type of color display. One new thing that has happened is including color profiles in web images. This will force the system to display images differently based on a color profile embedded in the image. I don't know for certain, but it's possible that some codecs are using a color profile during playback.

The h.264 render is fine. The darker color shifting is going to be very minor. You need to do some more testing with other systems and monitors to see the results. Check your quality settings when exporting to h.264. If you use a lower quality you will get different results.
skygaz3r

Post by skygaz3r »

i dont think it has something to do with the settings of my computer. if i use other codes the color are fine but i have loss in quality (some blured lines for example).
also got a screetshot. on the left side is the video after it was renderd, on the right is the original character in AS9 before the video got renderd.
http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/3488/hjv27ozp_jpg.htm

i got a additional screen connected to my notebook, the colors look a little bit different on the notebook and tft screen, but its a difference thats not that extrem than this pre and renderd screenshot
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

There is going to be some differences between what AS displays and what the rendered output will look like, but that is very extreme.

I never see color shifting as extreme as that (the hair brown color mostly) when I am working with Anime Studio. Of course I render to uncompressed. I don't use any compression before uploading or using in editing software. Or I will use h.264 with max quality. Even when using compression or lower quality with h.264 I don't see that extreme color shifting.

It's probably a system OS difference. I work on Mac primarily and don't see any huge color differences when rendering. This leads me to believe it's a "gamma" issue of some kind having to do with the OS. Just guessing.

Shifting the gamma that "darkens" colors can make a huge difference to the colors. It's different than simply "darkening" the image, gamma can really make colors change.
skygaz3r

Post by skygaz3r »

that colors get that dark only happens when i use h.264, the quality itself is what i am looking for but of course not that extrem color changes.
on my old computer i just rendert in avi and chose ffdshow for compression but now on my notebook i cant find any way how to add ffdshow. i installted it but it doesnt appear in the selection for compression program. if somebody could tell me how i can add a additional compression program i would be fine (http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/3488/wow2czl8_jpg.htm)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

that colors get that dark only happens when i use h.264
This is strange because my experience is completely opposite: in h.264 my colours are too faded and un-saturated.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
skygaz3r

Post by skygaz3r »

i made a upgrade to AS 9.5 and now i can see all the codecs that i couldnt see in AS 9.1
i now use the codecs to compress from divx and the quality is finally what i was looking for