Good Examples of Chase and Fight Scene Storyboarding?

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lwaxana

Good Examples of Chase and Fight Scene Storyboarding?

Post by lwaxana »

Hi all! I am having trouble storyboarding a foot chase and battle scene. When I play back my animatic, it's just boring! Does anyone want to share links to favorite chase and battle scenes (animated or live action) that you would recommend as a good cinematography reference? Or any tips?
lwaxana

Re: Good Examples of Chase and Fight Scene Storyboarding?

Post by lwaxana »

Here are some I found in case someone is looking for reference scenes later:

Dragon Ball ep 1: Goku and tiger
http://youtu.be/tuLxJeHYFL0?t=3m6s

Aladdin: One jump ahead
http://youtu.be/TkbOGaJqJmg

Adventure Time: S01 E18 Dungeon
about five minutes into episode

Adventure Time: S01 E19 The Duke
about five minutes into episode
chucky

Post by chucky »

Movement in the frame is key.
Up down left to right and vice versa but mainly small to large and the reverse.
Be careful with hookups when changing direction and watch that the line of action( both shot to shot and in the scheme of the larger story) makes sense.
Think about the sounds and the sounds scale as well as the visual scale, that might give you clues for what could happen next.
Have your characters jump and fall, as many hurdles and blocks to the chased and chaser to keep the dynamics of distance changing , think about who you want to succeed and play on the tension there , the story will determine that.
You can send me stuff for feedback, I do a lot of storyboarding for tv film and advertising. I recommend toonboom storyboard pro or some way to preview the action in an edit as you work.
willf

Post by willf »

I'm a complete amateur at storyboarding (heck at animation in general) but I have learned quite a bit about storyboarding from reading Emma Coats' excellent tumbler posts on the subject. She is a freelance storyboarder who has worked on films for Pixar and others. Her Tumbler is chock full of good info on boarding.

Take this post as a good example:

http://storyshots.tumblr.com/post/32823 ... awing-tool
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Chucky--Thanks for your reply! I ended up scrapping that scene. But I do have battle scenes coming up in my story and would love to take you up on your offer to review the storyboards! Thank you so much!

Willf--Thank you! That looks like a great resource! Looking forward to reading it more closely.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Check out the extras on the Incredibles dvd's and storyboards of any samurai jack episode.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Lukas wrote:Check out the extras on the Incredibles dvd's and storyboards of any samurai jack episode.
Totally , good advice Lukas.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Thank you for these excellent suggestions, Lukas! I'll check them out! Don't know why I didn't think of Samurai Jack, it's one of my favorites.