Explain turning character!

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

torritorri

Explain turning character!

Post by torritorri »

I don't get how i'm supposed to make one group layer for the front of the character, one for the side of the character and so on, and put them in a switch layer to switch to different character views, if i want to be able to use blend morphs to make a smooth animation from when u see his side and then he turns so you can see the front of him.

Or do you recommend that i use some other method for smooth character turning instead of blend morphs? And i'm not just talking about a head turn. I'm talking about a full body turn!

I reeeally need help here!

Please explain! :(
slowtiger

Re: Explain turning character!

Post by slowtiger »

Because AS is a 2D program, not 3D.

Just have a look at a turnaround model sheet of any random character. The reason should be obvious now.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
neeters_guy

Re: Explain turning character!

Post by neeters_guy »

Depends on the character design. You can do full body turn on certain types of characters (selgin's example). Turning human characters such as the one slowtiger posted is harder to do with blend morphs. It's not impossible, but there's no universal technique for making body full tuns. it's a matter of thinking about the range of motion required and carefully designing your rig. Definitely advance stuff.

Using a switch for turns is simpler and effective. The turns are made during a fast action. I talked a little about this in this thread: Switch layers smooth transition & stopping the walk

Depending on your content, you might also consider limiting your movement or views. Some animations can be done entirely with a 3/4 front view (Family Guy does this particularly well).

Hope that helps.