Need HELP! Creating a Flashlight in a Dark Room effect

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Conar

Need HELP! Creating a Flashlight in a Dark Room effect

Post by Conar »

Hey guys im fairly new to this forum so if im in the wrong place please don't sue me, I was under the impression that
this is where to go to get tips and help on Anime Studio problems, but with that out of the way, here's my problem,

So basically I am making a animation and in the first scene, Guy 1 is looking for his friend Guy 2 but it just so happens he is in the basement and Guy 1 eventually finds him but he cant see, I was going for a classic Eyes glow in the dark so you can still see where they are sort of deal, but then Guy 1 pulls out a flash light and it lights just a portion of the area, I was thinking about making the lit up area as a triangle. but I have tried everything, I have tried positioning layers, I have tried Creating a shape with the Triangle light to be 0 opacity, Oh man I've tried allot of things, so if anyone knows how to do this, please tell me, IM DESPERATE!
sbtamu

Re: Need HELP! Creating a Flashlight in a Dark Room effect

Post by sbtamu »

Something like this?
Create a group or bone layer and set it to hid all
----top layer in the group layer will be your guy set to mask this layer
----lower layer will be a triangle with some soft edges with no stroke and about 75% opacity set to add to mask
----out of this masking group you will put a black background, it will be under the masking layers.

Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Conar

Post by Conar »

Oh sweet, Yes that's exactly what I was trying to accomplish, thank you very much
Conar

Post by Conar »

Uhm, one thing, I will watch some tutorials on Masking, but Masking is a bit of a grey area for me, I have everything else nailed down like Scripts, Keyframes, Movement, Smart bone tool and all that jazz, but Masking, I hope its not too hard to grasp because I did see a tutorial and it wasn't very helpful
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Conar wrote:Uhm, one thing, I will watch some tutorials on Masking, but Masking is a bit of a grey area for me, I have everything else nailed down like Scripts, Keyframes, Movement, Smart bone tool and all that jazz, but Masking, I hope its not too hard to grasp because I did see a tutorial and it wasn't very helpful
I'll record a video showing how I made this one and you can study it. I still get confused with masking and have to switch stuff on and off and move layers around each time I mess with them.

Look for it later today/tonight.
Sorry for bad animation

Conar

Post by Conar »

Will do man, thanks for the help :D
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

One way to do it and I am sure everyone has their own way...

Sorry for bad animation