360 single Smart Bone Headturn

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

funksmaname

360 single Smart Bone Headturn

Post by funksmaname »

Here's a video of a proof of concept - no real bells and whistles, but the key is that there are two nose layers, one below the head and one above. The smart bone has two adjacent keyframes along the rotation which swaps them seemlesly (front nose goes off canvas in 1 frame, back nose takes its place in 1 frame). It occured to me you could use this technique to make all sorts of stuff change during a smart bone action. Until more channels are available this is a viable way to do turns using a single bone without having to manually key visibility or anything else.

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: 360 single Smart Bone Headturn

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Nice idea!
I was making a similar trick to make ears going from front to back, but I changed the position and line width of the points instead of duplicating the shape.
Also, I think you could scale the points to zero and reduce its width to zero instead of moving the shape out of the screen. This way you would avoid having a floating nose when the scene is zoomed out.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
ahzra

Post by ahzra »

hi all i love your techniques both , in my opinion we should not load too much on smart bones to do every thing...its not problem if we use layer ordering besides smart bones....my view point is what we can do if we have a character has a complex (hair) ...i think smart bones only will not be the a good solution..there must be some kind of layed ordering besides...if some one could make a script enable layer ordering by smart bones then i think its ok to load on smart bones to do this 360 rotation.... thats my opinion . may be iam wrong ... but i concern alot comlex shape 360 rotaion like hair
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

you can't add layer ordering via scripting as far as I know - it will have to be added to the application in future. These techinques offer a work around to achieving the same thing... to be honest, I'm not sure most of the time anyone NEEDS to do a 360 rotation, especially with extremely complex characters - sometimes it's better to change your plan instead of trying to do something unnecessarily complicated! :)
ahzra

Post by ahzra »

funksmaname wrote:you can't add layer ordering via scripting as far as I know - it will have to be added to the application in future. These techinques offer a work around to achieving the same thing... to be honest, I'm not sure most of the time anyone NEEDS to do a 360 rotation, especially with extremely complex characters - sometimes it's better to change your plan instead of trying to do something unnecessarily complicated! :)
i think it is very very important to know how to 360 rotate complex shapes even if dont use it , as i consider it the mother key of transforming anime studio from 2d to the spirit of 3d...and this is the key to enable anime studio develop it self from time to time ...untill we reach someday we say ..bye bye to frame to frame animation ...for example ... i love what selgin have done to achieve that he is very brave to see that way....so do you and all professional people ..look at this funk .. this is made by anime studio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gWZ4p6v ... ature=plcp

people like selgin and this chineese animators inspire me
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

That user has shared a lot of their files in the share your work section - check it out... they aren't actually complex 360 rigs - they are just GOOD ANIMATOR AT WORK! :D
To be honest, if the choice is to become a complex rig engineer or a good animator, the good animator will always take less time to do a lot more than an engineer could do with their super-rig... imho ;)
ahzra

Post by ahzra »

funksmaname wrote:That user has shared a lot of their files in the share your work section - check it out... they aren't actually complex 360 rigs - they are just GOOD ANIMATOR AT WORK! :D
To be honest, if the choice is to become a complex rig engineer or a good animator, the good animator will always take less time to do a lot more than an engineer could do with their super-rig... imho ;)
i totally agree with you...but as i say .it is a must to know the technique first ...then whether you use it or not... thats a matter of need or not need
Imago

Post by Imago »

Funksmaname, could you share the .ANME file?
I want to study the Layers hyerarchy and structure. :P
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

http://www.mediafire.com/?99d185kwd85wzwk
although seeing the file might make it seem more complicated than it should be (it's kinda slapped together ;)) - also using cycles in different places might make it seem odd... let me know if you're unsure why I did something and if there's a good reason I'll tell you :wink:
Imago

Post by Imago »

Thanks very much, Funksmaname! :mrgreen:
Now I learned another way to animate something! :D
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
Onionskin

Post by Onionskin »

selgin wrote:scale the points to zero and reduce its width to zero instead of moving the shape out of the screen
thanks for this tip
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

you can probably use Synthsins fbf on a single frame script to select the shape and hide it with a keypress...
TheMinahBird

Post by TheMinahBird »

Is there anyway to do this with hair? No bangs or anything.. just a simple oval behind the head seemingly rotating around it?

I've tried but it's too snappy. :/
"Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure; men love in haste but they detest at leisure" - Lord Byron